Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning to brew this next week on my BIAB system. I just got my water report and this will be the first time messing with water additions using brewer's friend or bru'n water.

Any suggestions for water profiles based off of this recipe? Here is what I am working with as a baseline.

pH: 7.3
TDS: 75
Sodium: 8
Calcium: 11
Potassium: 2
Magnesium: 4
Total Hardness: 44
Nitrate: 0.4
Sulfate: 2
Chloride: 9
Carbonate: <1.0
Bicarbonate: 53
Total Alkalinity: 44
Total Phosphorus: 0.03
Total Iron: 0.02

Planning to brew this next week on my BIAB system. I just got my water report and this will be the first time messing with water additions using brewer's friend or bru'n water.

Any suggestions for water profiles based off of this recipe? Here is what I am working with as a baseline.

pH: 7.3
TDS: 75
Sodium: 8
Calcium: 11
Potassium: 2
Magnesium: 4
Total Hardness: 44
Nitrate: 0.4
Sulfate: 2
Chloride: 9
Carbonate: <1.0
Bicarbonate: 53
Total Alkalinity: 44
Total Phosphorus: 0.03
Total Iron: 0.02

You should read the HBT interview with Yooper, where the recipe is discussed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brew-it-yoopers-oatmeal-stout.html

Here's a summary that answers your question:

"I like to mash stouts at a pH of 5.5-5.6"

"Water
Ca: 84
Mg: 26
Na 9
SO4 45
Cl 62"

Shoot for the numbers above.

I agree. Based on that interview I decided to up the chocolate malt a bit as Yooper is quoted that she doesn't like chocolate, and that flavor is what I like about American Stouts. All in all it turned out great and I am glad I rounded up to the nearest pound...

Thanks for the link and info.

Hit the LHBS this morning and they only had Wyeast 1318 in stock. How will this affect the finished beer will it still be just as good?

I have not used it but it seems to be well reviewed as smooth but may not attenuate as much. I think it'll be fine.

Denny's 50
Attenuation: 74-76%

Wyeast 1318 (London III)
Attenuation: 71-75%

This weekend I'll be brewing a Similar stout but I am swapping the 2oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) w/Simpsons (Brown)Coffee Malt
and trying Imperial Yeast "Darkness" which is supposed to be 1048.

You should read the HBT interview with Yooper, where the recipe is discussed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brew-it-yoopers-oatmeal-stout.html

Here's a summary that answers your question:

"I like to mash stouts at a pH of 5.5-5.6"

"Water
Ca: 84
Mg: 26
Na 9
SO4 45
Cl 62"

Shoot for the numbers above.

Oh, my gosh- I forgot all about that interview! Thanks for the link, and the reminder. I like that it describes the different ingredients, and what they bring, and my choices for yeast strains. I think I can edit my original post with this information/link if that is helpful to others who don't want to wade through the whole thread for the info. Again, thanks!

Oh, my gosh- I forgot all about that interview! Thanks for the link, and the reminder. I like that it describes the different ingredients, and what they bring, and my choices for yeast strains. I think I can edit my original post with this information/link if that is helpful to others who don't want to wade through the whole thread for the info. Again, thanks!

Good idea Yooper thanks!

Do you have any opinions or concerns with my question on using 1318? Have you had to use it before on your recipe?

Hi Yooper,

In my attempt to execute the recipe as close as you intended, I must have read that interview at least five times.

Thank you as well for sharing your recipes and experience with our community!

To scale this recipe for higher efficiency systems, would one want to adjust the grain bill to keep the percentages matched on all of the grains, or just remove some of the base grain to match the OG?

To scale this recipe for higher efficiency systems, would one want to adjust the grain bill to keep the percentages matched on all of the grains, or just remove some of the base grain to match the OG?

I'd adjust the entire grainbill. You don't want to increase the % of the dark malts and lower the % of the base grain.

Or just make it the same way and add a bit more water. Gives you wiggle room.

A quick update: now that I have had this in keg for a few weeks, it has settled in nicely. The chocolate and roast really shines through. I have this lightly carbed as it should be, but the drinking temp really makes a difference IMO. Out of the tap (regular as I don't have nitro or a stout tap) from a cold kegerator (35 deg F), it is too cold in the glass. Tastes a bit like wonky coca-cola. But let it warm up 10-15 degrees and it's another animal and as intended. So a little planning is good - either pour it short or pour it full and wait a bit.

Or just make it the same way and add a bit more water. Gives you wiggle room.

A quick update: now that I have had this in keg for a few weeks, it has settled in nicely. The chocolate and roast really shines through. I have this lightly carbed as it should be, but the drinking temp really makes a difference IMO. Out of the tap (regular as I don't have nitro or a stout tap) from a cold kegerator (35 deg F), it is too cold in the glass. Tastes a bit like wonky coca-cola. But let it warm up 10-15 degrees and it's another animal and as intended. So a little planning is good - either pour it short or pour it full and wait a bit.

I do this for all of my stouts whether homebrewed or not. I find most beers benefit from warming at least a little bit but stouts always do.

Put this in the keg last night. It was in primary for 11 days. Fermentation was done in about 3 days with WY1335. OG 1.057. FG 1.020.

Smelled fantastic going into the keg.

Yes, I know, bad etiquette quoting myself, but I killed my keg of "Cream of Three Crops" tonight so now I have room for this beauty to carb and chill. Hopefully 4 weeks bulk conditioning and a week carbing will be enough time.

Forgot to update: fermentation was done in about 3 days but left it in the carboy a total of 14 days while waiting on a keg. FG was 1.011 and the sample was simply delicious. Although I've been brewing for around 13 years, this is the first stout I've made and I'm glad I chose this one! Looking forward to enjoying once it's carbonated.

Wow, 1.011 is pretty dry. How did you get it so low?

What was your mash temp? What yeast? What ferm temp?

Mine got down to about 1.012. Mashed at 152. Used Mangrove Jack's M07 British Ale yeast. Ferm at about 68, but it got as high as 72 during the peak. I know..I should have done something more about the ferm temp, but oh well..lesson learned.

I use US05 and S04 exclusively and I tend to always ferment in the low 60s. Beers that I mash at 148, will finish as low as 1.004 with US05 but usually finish around 1.006. If I want a higher FG, I'll use S04.

Brewed this today, best brew day yet, i seem to have all my steps down, hit all my temps and volumes and SG.......than at the boil I mistakenly added only 1 oz of hops forgot the second oz..... lets see how it turns out.... :( Im scared....

Cracked a bottle of this after 10 days. Let me tell you, I messed up everything brewing this that you can--mashed too high in the 160s, fermented too cool, and even had what seemed to be a stuck fermentation. Finally bottled it at 1.026. Guess what? This beer is DAMN good!

Brewed 10 gallons yesterday.. FG was 3 points low, probably due to oversparging.. I added my dark grains as a late addition to the mash to reduce astringency.. Had several problems with a stuck mash while lautering.. I usually use rice hulls but hadn't, so beware of that.. Its an impressive brew no doubt.. A 5 gallon keg will be going to my nieces college graduation party! This will be the 1st beer that I put on Nitro at my house took!! Should be awesome!

May have a stalled fermentation on my hands. Took a gravity reading today (day 7) because I was suspicious after fermentation stopped completely 2-3 days in. SG was 1.028 which seems awfully high to me and not much evidence of krausen ring or yeast left doing their thing.

I was spot on for the mash temp 155-156 and pitched a healthy starter of 1318 which took off and just ended early. Been fermenting at 64F entire time. Should I rouse the yeast and raise the temp?

May have a stalled fermentation on my hands. Took a gravity reading today (day 7) because I was suspicious after fermentation stopped completely 2-3 days in. SG was 1.028 which seems awfully high to me and not much evidence of krausen ring or yeast left doing their thing.

I was spot on for the mash temp 155-156 and pitched a healthy starter of 1318 which took off and just ended early. Been fermenting at 64F entire time. Should I rouse the yeast and raise the temp?

You used a hydometer, and not a refractometer for the reading?

I have the exact same issue, brewed Sunday and it seems like it's stuck.

I will bum the temp from 64 to 66 and increase until fermentation starts again.

Brewed this today... used the exact recipe and even built Yooper's water profile up from scratch. Nailed 1.052 exactly. Tasted the finished wort and noticed that I would probably drink a glass of it as-is... that's a good sign. Nottingham is my only deviation... I'll ferment at 61-62 and try to keep the fermentation nice and clean.

Yoop, if you have a sec, why did you choose Wilammette? Usually you see a goldings/fuggles variety in a stout.

Quick update with my stalled fermentation:

After a week of rousing the yeast and raising the temp to 70F I couldn't get any more points out of this brew which baffles me. I mashed right on target within 0.5 degrees tested with 3 thermometers.

I'm stuck at 1.027 leaving me 4.0% ABV from the initial 1.057 OG. Wish I could have gotten a little more but that's all she's got.

Today mark the 2 week mark, are there any other options or can I go ahead and cold crash for 3 days and bottle? I have some US-05 or 04 I could pitch but is it a waste being so late in the ball game?

That's not too far from where mine was. I was at 1.022 FG and it's still perfect. I would crash it and go as is. Personally.

I brewed this up on Sunday. Everything went well, hit my numbers, and it's now my inaugural brew in my new 7 gal Chronical. Did a trub dump at two days, and another today. Took an SG sample, sitting at 1.018, guessing I'll get the additional .003 expected drop during the next 10 days before I keg it. Sample tasted great!

42YK2r2FetpjVDLo08uOkVD1Zq2Jp8x-pcgpSRhSarCKhdFbS9OVIQ9wNYASqqmqb-ragViYJK1uDwPaQXtg-hQZfn6rehZKR6SLPQ5XD5Ec5Z1aSqGxlgmNHLz9vPMrsqiLGcIoyQ6XX6KRTmfbDGWqFtOGkHHbcxmNXJaPuN9MqnJBu_WJ21Gbj6gre8uk72e0ThEhiReWl1APSvB3r74EHSi9GmL8nJ_lJmmks1Td74p6Q4EVhWKmJLNkuRMyWCXDrrhreaGPluQL3YYdk-c5qOmn11b_Xokd4I5-0i-OPEEuymdaePRxIsZ-b-rjk74WNzQb7uKEhyXUNCUnxmZo988D6CreB3zU8KClDlhaT_yqIHuMTzuJW4TP6maNH_9EL6WxwD800bizBG8mLAz9gg7RoSvouAQ4TD1-4Q8tF-UXLqiR4048N9lPsg_pRCKPmc27FyyXdlIqDx1LVBvQCKDT1hkSqHjw7Agj1MoYpPxu9yJgkrT1YA62Hsb8SCVWrzKh1eKQQYLajacJbjFH9RW5PwLe4-92cA7lmI9o0AMiH8_pnAdtICC3OtE6BSK8=w1118-h1490-no

I brewed this up on Sunday. Everything went well, hit my numbers, and it's now my inaugural brew in my new 7 gal Chronical. Did a trub dump at two days, and another today. Took an SG sample, sitting at 1.018, guessing I'll get the additional .003 expected drop during the next 10 days before I keg it. Sample tasted great!

42YK2r2FetpjVDLo08uOkVD1Zq2Jp8x-pcgpSRhSarCKhdFbS9OVIQ9wNYASqqmqb-ragViYJK1uDwPaQXtg-hQZfn6rehZKR6SLPQ5XD5Ec5Z1aSqGxlgmNHLz9vPMrsqiLGcIoyQ6XX6KRTmfbDGWqFtOGkHHbcxmNXJaPuN9MqnJBu_WJ21Gbj6gre8uk72e0ThEhiReWl1APSvB3r74EHSi9GmL8nJ_lJmmks1Td74p6Q4EVhWKmJLNkuRMyWCXDrrhreaGPluQL3YYdk-c5qOmn11b_Xokd4I5-0i-OPEEuymdaePRxIsZ-b-rjk74WNzQb7uKEhyXUNCUnxmZo988D6CreB3zU8KClDlhaT_yqIHuMTzuJW4TP6maNH_9EL6WxwD800bizBG8mLAz9gg7RoSvouAQ4TD1-4Q8tF-UXLqiR4048N9lPsg_pRCKPmc27FyyXdlIqDx1LVBvQCKDT1hkSqHjw7Agj1MoYpPxu9yJgkrT1YA62Hsb8SCVWrzKh1eKQQYLajacJbjFH9RW5PwLe4-92cA7lmI9o0AMiH8_pnAdtICC3OtE6BSK8=w1118-h1490-no

If I didn't know know I'd say you took that reading from my carboy! I'm on day 13 of fermentation. I repitched a rehydrated pack of dry yeast us-05 last night with no new activity yet.

Edit: yoopers did say she leaves in for 21 days. Maybe we're just being impatient....

If I didn't know know I'd say you took that reading from my carboy! I'm on day 13 of fermentation. I repitched a rehydrated pack of dry yeast us-05 last night with no new activity yet.

Edit: yoopers did say she leaves in for 21 days. Maybe we're just being impatient....

I wouldn't sweat those last few points too much, Wldthang. Mine will come out of the fermenter after 14 days, but will be split into kegs (one "au natural"), the other is getting some coffee. I'll let them bulk age for a couple weeks in the kegs before putting on the gas.....

My previous experience says that you can't rush stouts.....they need at least six weeks from brew day to come together.

Brew on!

R

I'll second the above comment. The 1st time I brewed this I bottled it after 4 weeks and it carbed up way to fast for my liking. I have my second attempt going right now and when I checked it at 4 weeks it was close to final gravity. Going to give it another 1 or 2 weeks this time to let it really finish out.

3 weeks in primary and 4 weeks in bottle. This is drinking nice and tasty now...roasty and silky smooth. It's a bit too fruity/estery, but that's my fault for letting ferm temps get too high. I mashed at about 150 so it's a little dry as well but not overly thin. I used Mangrove Jack's M07 and I'm pretty happy with the results. Given a couple more weeks, this will be even better!

View attachment 1458564185635.jpg

Hmmm, I think it's done.....that's ok. Est. FG was 1.015, and given I mashed a couple points lower than my target, I'll be fine with 1.018. Will transfer to keg this weekend and give it 2-3 more weeks to age before carbonating. Can't wait!

bTq5_JFSyy79RGjFRS171kw6Frchg02zMxjN8AhPazhym-RzXEnrtAo4FMAcVPzFuwy2eTODfX6AzkQVNJcs3w4Q_9EaTwOqBLL3bAPou-7ctodui7mQia9ERSqkDRKW4QTJ2yiRQ6hh9o0ZqQwQSBGPU-LfSQ-pNCKvB-aUa60TRwxxSOdsCnvOnKBOybr7RUV_Uti0_COa8rklPXZBqewF35JRdRHztlJ8YadzxkjKY0R-8da-hY1zT56HRep7icB3v0TKLtJH6pk4WHgyC6TDJzaBe1d3g8AlSX-B4hHH7Vq1ZI6R2i5GxYf9raWfSoaqHoa-nf1I6ZX9mGREXwa27Q4cjm8_3VhKcAaeSC4fetpZo18r_iWn_yRXRx3pGc7rbzw5kt3XPremjM0b_4cDOzXcGkqosj1Pc4V-utxS6PL-cDmIi-qWFUA_d110kZYXT48ly-Sx9zkRBX4HU_hVi-gkJctoeh6Ezui-QFg9EEc48zPKHNZNBO_qVnc_JufA8QHajFugHQR3gm7M1K-x9BCwfTzLnz0d1lbiisqcJ26P8s0-DcnBB-TzlwlV4VB8=w540-h719-no

Back