Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what the OG of this recipe is suppose to be from yoopers original post?

it is right there

Capture.JPG

I never realized the app was leaving info out. The whole top heading is missing. It just starts off with the ingredient list.

maybe this was covered, but can i sub BlackPatent for the Black barley? what are the flavor differences? thanks

maybe this was covered, but can i sub BlackPatent for the Black barley? what are the flavor differences? thanks

You can sub it if u want but it won't be the same beer. I think a couple ppl subbed it in the thread.
The black barley is a tad bitter , roasty more coffee like. Where a 1/2 lb of black patent will be more acrid , burnt and ashy.

Yooper thanks for this. I live in Florida and call it a summer stout. Huge hit every time I brew it.

Brewed this almost a month ago and just pulled the first pint out of the keg. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Just kegged this for the first time, I'm a bit sad that my yeast stalled, didn't hit my og 1.048 instead, and finished at 1.018. Uncarbed tasted good but a little too sweet :(

I usually have it sit in the primary until it starts to clear, about 10 days or so. It takes a few weeks to really come together, but you could try a bottle after 3-4 weeks after bottling.

Yooper! You're such a tease!!! Making me wait for 3-4 weeks was unbearable! So I uncapped a bottle after just a few days and it was already starting to carb up, with Denny's fav 50 yeast. During bottling day I could tell it was going to be ONE of those stouts that just keeps getting better and better the longer it sits, but after a few IPA's this evening I just had to try one of your Oatmeal Stouts. Oh my effing Gawd! I am going to uncap a second bottle tonight ( ;

So while I'm thinking about it... ever consider modifying this recipe into the ahem ... Imperial Yooper Stout style of beer?! I would be so keen on such a recipe if it ever surfaced ( ;

So while I'm thinking about it... ever consider modifying this recipe into the ahem ... Imperial Yooper Stout style of beer?! I would be so keen on such a recipe if it ever surfaced ( ;

I haven't ever thought about changing it. It may be pretty good to imperialize, I'd think!

I, too, bought grain for an 11 gal batch of this just last night to brew next weekend.

I've done a few stout recipes where I used this recipe as the base/starting-point, and then tweaked it to come up with a new recipe. This one is just so good, it's also a good place to start for new recipes too. E.g., I did a rye stout last year, based on this recipe.

Earlier this year I did a big, bold imperial chocolate stout (loads of chocolate malt, not actual chocolate), based on this recipe. It's bulk aging in the keg now, waiting for winter. It's not the exact same recipe with extra base malt, but it is an imperialized version, based on this recipe.

I went for 2.0 and it is carbing up beautifully! It's carbing up so well... it had me a wee bit concerned during the first week so I moved everything to a cooler area for long term storage. I've been enjoying it as a green stout, wish I could let it mature LOL :drunk:

Anyone that has used S04 for this seen the krausen drop in just 72 hours. Temp has been controlled at 64*f. Had a 1.5" krausen within 12 Hours and 60 hours later everything has died down. Brew day went as expected all numbers hit +.02. PH at 5.4. Haven't checked gravity, just thought that fermentation was very fast.

Anyone that has used S04 for this seen the krausen drop in just 72 hours. Temp has been controlled at 64*f. Had a 1.5" krausen within 12 Hours and 60 hours later everything has died down. Brew day went as expected all numbers hit +.02. PH at 5.4. Haven't checked gravity, just thought that fermentation was very fast.

Just brewed this 3 weeks ago with S04. Krausen dropped the same way. Very fast ferment. Ferment temp was about the same as yours if I'm not mistaken. FG was 1.022

I plan on brewing this again on sunday for xmas 'presents' at the office. I want to add some things once primary is complete and have some questions:

The local coffee shop gave me some Sumatra coffee (whole beans). I plan to add the whole beans directly to secondary, I would think that this recipe would be a good recipe to add coffee beans to. Has anyone added coffee beans to Yooper's stout? If so, did you like it?

I was also considering adding a vanilla bean or two and maybe a cinnamon stick. The more I think about it, the more this sounds like I am making this beer too 'busy'...? Is there such a thing? If I hit the numbers on the head, this brew should be around 4.75%, is that okay with all of these additions?

I have brewed this once so far and its still conditioning in the bottle, but it doesn't seem half bad for someone who is a hack at brewing like me...

Just brewed this 3 weeks ago with S04. Krausen dropped the same way. Very fast ferment. Ferment temp was about the same as yours if I'm not mistaken. FG was 1.022

Very good. Just a little concerned as I usually see fermentation last a little longer and is typically a little more vigorous. How long did you leave yours in primary? I'm planning on 21 days.

I plan on brewing this again on sunday for xmas 'presents' at the office. I want to add some things once primary is complete and have some questions:

The local coffee shop gave me some Sumatra coffee (whole beans). I plan to add the whole beans directly to secondary, I would think that this recipe would be a good recipe to add coffee beans to. Has anyone added coffee beans to Yooper's stout? If so, did you like it?

I was also considering adding a vanilla bean or two and maybe a cinnamon stick. The more I think about it, the more this sounds like I am making this beer too 'busy'...? Is there such a thing? If I hit the numbers on the head, this brew should be around 4.75%, is that okay with all of these additions?

I have brewed this once so far and its still conditioning in the bottle, but it doesn't seem half bad for someone who is a hack at brewing like me...

I added 2-3 oz of whole bean in the keg for 3 days & it turned out great.

I'd stay clear of adding too many flavor additives but coffee will definitely work.

The coffee was labeled as Columbian Arabica & World Market.

Anyone try adding vanilla beans to this? How many beans, how did it turn out?

I've added all of the above (except cinnamon) and it's been great. In fact, I haven't made it without the additions for a while now. I did a side by side once, one just the base recipe as provided by Yooper, the other with a cacao nib & vanilla bean tincture as well as coffee, and I much preferred the complexities that the additions provided. I'm actually kegging one right now that has a couple ounces of bourbon soaked oak cubes that I'm going to steep in the keg for 5 days as well. I think I may have mentioned it in a previous post, but this is my method for the vanilla/cacao (taken from the interwebs):

- Add 2 vanilla beans (split and scraped) into a sealable container with 12oz vodka for 7 days.
- Roast 6oz cacao nibs in 210°F oven for 15 minutes, then add to vanilla/vodka mixture for another 7 days.
- Strain through a coffee filter and put in the freezer overnight. The following morning, try to remove whatever fat cap there may be.
- You can store the remaining extract in a mason jar on the shelf for up to a year.

I use about 3oz per keg for this stout.

For the coffee side of things, I've previously only used whole bean (with a 1 second pulse in my grinder) in sanitized water at room temp for 24 hours, then filter and add to keg. I used 1.5oz of beans per 2 cups of water, but it wasn't an overpowering coffee flavor after aging for 2 months.

In my current batch, I used 4oz of ground coffee & chicory in 30oz of water, and once filtered had about 20oz to add to the keg. I'm hoping this gives me the coffee punch in the face I'm looking for. If not, I think the key here is to add the coffee after aging has taken place (closer to serving time).

Very good. Just a little concerned as I usually see fermentation last a little longer and is typically a little more vigorous. How long did you leave yours in primary? I'm planning on 21 days.

I did a 2 week primary then transferred to a keg to condition a bit. 3 week primary shouldn't be a problem. If I didn't keg I would have left it in the primary longer. I don't like to transfer to secondaries unless absolutely necessary

I went for 2.0 and it is carbing up beautifully! It's carbing up so well... it had me a wee bit concerned during the first week so I moved everything to a cooler area for long term storage. I've been enjoying it as a green stout, wish I could let it mature LOL :drunk:
Thanks, one more questions, has anyone used WLP005 for this? It's what I have on hand and may not have time to get a different yeast.

I did a 2 week primary then transferred to a keg to condition a bit. 3 week primary shouldn't be a problem. If I didn't keg I would have left it in the primary longer. I don't like to transfer to secondaries unless absolutely necessary

Thanks. I'm planning on kegging this as well but also plan on secondary for 5 gallons to add vanilla and cocoa nibs. I generally don't do secondary either.

This just finished fermenting for me, but the yeast seems to have under attenuated (60%). Am I in danger of bottle bombs, or is it just going to be extra sweet? It's been fermenting for roughly 3 and half weeks, so I was expecting it to be pretty well finished.

I brewed this recipe on Sunday. All of my numbers were spot on (except for preboil gravity was 1.042 instead of 1.043) and my Temps and volumes were all correct. Somehow, though, I got and OG of 1.038 instead of the expected 1.052!

This does not seem possible since everything else was right. I got my sample after transferring to the fermentor by using my brewing spoon (sanitized) scoop a small amount and put it in a measuring cup, from which I pulled a sample for my refractometer.

I'm thinking maybe the fats/oils from the oats were on top and I got part of that. Not sure if that's really a thing though. Any ideas? I've never been this far off on an OG!

Edit: After posting this, it occurred to me that my OG is lower than preboil. There must have been something wrong in my measurement.

Edit: After posting this, it occurred to me that my OG is lower than preboil. There must have been something wrong in my measurement.

Yep, unless you had a leak in your chiller. What were your preboil and postboil volumes?

When using a refractometer I always take 3-5 separate readings and average them. The cheap refractometers we use are not incredible consistent. Also, you're using the Brix scale to read the samples, and then using a conversion tool to get the SG, yes? Brix to SG is not linear, and those monocular refractometers are not accurate on the SG side.

It can be quite a hassle, to the point where I only use mine now for pre-boil gravity readings and initial post boil reading. I always take a hydrometer sample for my final post boil gravity.

I brewed this recipe on Sunday. All of my numbers were spot on (except for preboil gravity was 1.042 instead of 1.043) and my Temps and volumes were all correct. Somehow, though, I got and OG of 1.038 instead of the expected 1.052!

This does not seem possible since everything else was right. I got my sample after transferring to the fermentor by using my brewing spoon (sanitized) scoop a small amount and put it in a measuring cup, from which I pulled a sample for my refractometer.

I'm thinking maybe the fats/oils from the oats were on top and I got part of that. Not sure if that's really a thing though. Any ideas? I've never been this far off on an OG!

There would be no way of dropping gravity from .042 to .038 post boil. Something else happening there. Probably not mixed well in your sample.

When using a refractometer I always take 3-5 separate readings and average them. The cheap refractometers we use are not incredible consistent. Also, you're using the Brix scale to read the samples, and then using a conversion tool to get the SG, yes? Brix to SG is not linear, and those monocular refractometers are not accurate on the SG side.

It can be quite a hassle, to the point where I only use mine now for pre-boil gravity readings and initial post boil reading. I always take a hydrometer sample for my final post boil gravity.

I use the SG readings. I wasn't aware they were innacurate... I'll have to look into that. Doesn't seem it could be that innacurate though

There would be no way of dropping gravity from .042 to .038 post boil. Something else happening there. Probably not mixed well in your sample.

That's what my first thought was, but the sample was taken after it was transfered to the fermenter and no top up was added.

This just finished fermenting for me, but the yeast seems to have under attenuated (60%). Am I in danger of bottle bombs, or is it just going to be extra sweet? It's been fermenting for roughly 3 and half weeks, so I was expecting it to be pretty well finished.

I'm on my second attempt at this recipe and I had a similar problem the first time. OG was 1.059, but only got to 1.033 after a week (and stayed there for two more). I tried rousing the yeast with a temperature raise and pitching new (S-04) yeast and neither worked so I dumped it since I didn't want to risk bottle bombs. I think my problem was I using frozen water bottles in an attempt to cool the fermenter and may have overdone it. It worked fine on the Cream Ale I did before that but was a lot warmer in the house at that time.

On my current attempt I mashed at 152 instead of 156 and left the fermenter alone. Started at 1.067 (likely due to a much more vigorous squeezing of my BIAB bag) and it's sitting stable at 1.027 after 10 days. It's looking a lot better than my first attempt (58% attenuation vs 42%) and if you look at the original recipe it was only 68%. I'll likely bottle this batch (targeting a low CO2 volume) and risk it...

Next time I'll likely switch to either Denny's Favorite yeast or Wyeast 1318 and see how that affects things.

Ok, this is a double post to a new thread I just posted, but I'm fishing for feedback. ;)

So, I'm doing my first 10 gal batch this weekend, and it's basically this recipe. I began my yeast starter yesterday. Turns out, I had the calculator set to lager pitch rate. I had thought I needed to do one step yesterday, and then was planning on stepping up again tomorrow. I should have checked my numbers, but it's too late now. I have roughly 3L of starter right now which is already an over pitch for my recipe.

My calculated pitch should be 392 Billion Cells. The starter I have going calculates out to 479 Billion Cells.

I would normally say, I'll just pour some off. Problem is, the yeast is wy1968, and it floccs like a beast. It's not exactly a homogenous mixture that can easily be portioned out.

Should I... Just over pitch.

Should I... Try to pour off some and take close enough.

Should I... Bump up the recipe with some DME to make the yeast I have a more proper pitch. My recipe is 1.052, but 1.064 would make the starter I have on target. Not sure I'd go that far with DME, but maybe 1.058-1.060.

Should I... Any other ideas?

Cheers.
:mug:

Back