Yo from Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowishus

Reaction score
Hey there,

Been lurking around the pst few weeks.

33 yr old, computer geek professional. Married with 2 kids (9 months and 21 months - yea they're close!)

I've brewed my own beer on and off since college (mostly in college). Found a recipe for some hard cider and thought I'd give it a shot. I really haven't done much in the past few years.

I've seen a ton of people from Ohio on here (and a lot from Cincinnati).

I wouldn't mind catching meeting up with a few of the more experienced brewers on here and picking up some tricks and tips!

See ya!
alow

p.s. My current claim to forum fame is that I read through the entire thread for EdWort's Apfelwein - yea I'm that lame! :cross:

Hello Alow,

Welcome to the board. Tell us a bit more about yourself. What type of set up do you have? AG or extract? Do you get supplies at Listermann's? That is also where both local homebrew clubs meet, so you can pick up some tips there too.

I can't claim any greatness on the experience level, but I'd like to know more about the brewclubs here in cincy. I've been getting my stuff from jungle jim's in Fairfield since it's right next to my house and both times i tried to check out listerman's there wasn't anyone there??

Hey guys,

I've always just done extract type kits. I've been pretty successful with it.

I just tried a couple of ciders. Since the recipes were easy to do, I used them to get back into the swing of things. I'm not sure how complicated I want to get, but I'd like to see some of the other options out there.

I have one of the 2 plastic bucket setup kits (I got back in college). I think it's Brewer's Best or something.

I also bought the beginnings of a kegging system. I have a large CO2 tank and regulator that I used on a coral reef aquarium for several years. But I think I may just go get another (smaller) tank and regulator at some point.

My wife is pretty supportive of any of the hobbies I usually do, but I'd like to make some beers that I know she'd really like (she drinks Corona mainly)

See ya!
alow

alowishus said:
My wife is pretty supportive of any of the hobbies I usually do, but I'd like to make some beers that I know she'd really like (she drinks Corona mainly)

See ya!
alow
Corona? Doesn't she drink some of the beers you make (aka good beers)? My wife is not much of a drinker (tolerance = 1/2 pint) but she has taken so much to my porter that it is now a house requirement.

alowishus said:

I wouldn't reccomend trying replicate a rat piss beer like corona, but light ales and lagers are extremely good when brewed with the right conditions and with IBU's kept conservative I'm sure SWMBO will be quite happy with 'em.

What kinda beer do you like to drink?

My wife isn't really a big beer drinker. Wine, etc is more to her liking. She likes Corona Light and lime alot - probably because it's sweet.

We've tried a lot of different beers over the years, she likes Guiness and Negra Modelo but doesn't drink it a lot. The thinking is obviously if I make something she'll drink, then I can get more stuff - haha

Personally, I'll drink just about any type of beer. The exception being wheat-type beers - never really did get a taste for them. Every time I try one I'm like - err why did I try this! Other than that, I'm pretty happy with drinking just about any beer.

alow

alowishus said:
Personally, I'll drink just about any type of beer. The exception being wheat-type beers - never really did get a taste for them. Every time I try one I'm like - err why did I try this! Other than that, I'm pretty happy with drinking just about any beer.

alow
Birds of a feather we are. And I was just about to suggest a light summer wheat beer for your wife.

Do you have the capability to lager? If not, perhaps a Cream ale, Blonde ale, or Kolsch would be up her alley (descriptions).

Looks like me, you and shafferpilot are all Cincy guys. I am probably central between the three of us (Eastgate area). We could maybe find some time to do a group brew at my place.

Hey all, just joined the site today and saw this thread. Thought I might as well respond as I'm in the Cincy area as well. Just got done drinking the last of my 4th batch of homebrew (drinking the last bottle as I write this), so I'm a relative n00b as well.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Birds of a feather we are. And I was just about to suggest a light summer wheat beer for your wife.

Do you have the capability to lager? If not, perhaps a Cream ale, Blonde ale, or Kolsch would be up her alley (descriptions).

Looks like me, you and shafferpilot are all Cincy guys. I am probably central between the three of us (Eastgate area). We could maybe find some time to do a group brew at my place.

A blonde or kolsch might be a good idea. I'm all for a negra modelo type since I like that too - haha

I've never "lagered" before - I'm not completely familiar with the process so I don't know if I can do it or not. I'm not adverse to setting up to do it if it's not too in depth.

We can do a brew date sometime - I've got some room here to do stuff as well.

We can figure it all out - woo!

the nice part about living in the midwest is that we can ferment lager in the garage or shed once winter really kicks in using a brewbelt heater to keep things around 50F. To do the actual lagering stage, we still kinda need to use a chest freezer with a temp control or a spare fridge if you can fit a carboy in it. Cincy is well known for its 60 degree days in the middle of January, HA! I built a lager box out of an old window air conditioner and a temp controller. Unfortunately, my first try at a lager got all kinds of screwed up when the unit froze up and the temp got up to about 65F before I got it dialed in. It works great now, so I need to do another. BUT I need a corny fridge first since my lager box is currently keeping four cornies at serving temp waiting for a new year's party. Anyways, I like the sound of a brewdate in eastgate. Schedule's tight this close to Christmas, but we can try to find a day that we're all free:)

I am up visiting family in Milwaukee 12/22 to 12/27, but I am off until 1/2 after that. I have some work to do on the house (finishing my basement) during that time, but I think I can swing a day free for brewing.

Back