Yet Another Hop Substitution Thread: Cluster and Kentucky Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing a Kentucky common, which I'm doing entirely based off of recipes, as I've never had a commercial example. It seems like it's a cream ale with a little bit of color.

For a 2.5-gallon batch, it's 2 lb. pale malt, 1 lb. 6-row, 1 lb. flaked corn, 0.25 lb. chocolate rye, and 0.125 light crystal.

I'd intended to use Cluster for both bittering and aroma, and I'm certain I ordered Cluster, but I simply can't find it in my freezer. (You know how freezers are.) What I have available is Tettnang, Spalt, Hallertau, Magnum, Fuggle, Northern Brewer, and Willamette. Plus a lot of fruity hops that I can't imagine belong in there.

What would you do? Brewing now, first hop addition probably in about 90 minutes.

Cheers!

You have a lot of good choices there. I'd probably use Northern Brewer for bittering and maybe just a little Hallertau or Willamette for aroma mostly. Fuggle is the only one I wouldn't use.

Do you have dark crystal you could use instead of light? I thought that was important to the style.

You have a lot of good choices there. I'd probably use Northern Brewer for bittering and maybe just a little Hallertau or Willamette for aroma mostly. Fuggle is the only one I wouldn't use.

Do you have dark crystal you could use instead of light? I thought that was important to the style.
I do have dark crystal, but I'm mashing already. I'm counting on the chocolate rye for color. How about
4 g NB @ 60
2 g NB @ 20
2 g Willamette @ 20
4 g NB @ 0
4 g Willamette @ 0

I've only made KC a couple of times. I used Black Patent malt and C120, if I recall correctly, and only a tiny bit of each.

Your hop schedule looks fine but a little busy. I'm lazy, I would add all the NB in one shot at 60 or 45, and the Willamette at 5. :)

Thanks to all for replying. I (just now) found the Cluster … it had fallen into the space behind one of the pull-out drawers. I went looking there because I accidentally knocked another bag of hops back there while I was brewing today.

Latest posts

Back