Yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokewater

Reaction score
I attempted so wash some safeale 04 for practice. I didn't have a 1 gallon jar like the threads suggest. I just dumped 2/4 of a gallon of boiled/cooled water into my bucket and filled up 2 mason jars with what is left. It is settling out nicely.

My question is does temperature matter. Can I store this at room temp. Right now it is in a dorm fridge sitting in my carport. That works well except when outside temps get below freezing for a couple of days. Then stuff freezes in this fridge. Would that hurt things provided the Mason jar holds up. I have it capped with tin foil now so I doubt they would break and probably wouldn't freeze solid.

FYI, I don't know of anyone that uses 1 gallon of water to wash the yeast with. Most people use around 1-2 quarts, I use 1 myself, split into 4 pint jars when finished. So your method works perfect, except for the freezing part.

FYI, I don't know of anyone that uses 1 gallon of water to wash the yeast with. Most people use around 1-2 quarts, I use 1 myself, split into 4 pint jars when finished. So your method works perfect, except for the freezing part.

That's good to know. I was basing that on something I saw or read on here.

It won't be a problem in a few weeks after the last frost. Once I get it washed and into a smaller jar I can store it in the fridge indoors. SWMBO would have a problem with several quart jars initially hence my use of the carport fridge.

I will just play around with this batch and not brew with it. Practice doing a starter etc. Its just dry safeale 04 anyway.

Back