yeast washing question *PIC*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st0neski

Reaction score
So last night I racked my pumpkin stout and then decided to try my hand at yeast washing. I followed the instructions but I am just wondering if I did it right or not. If you look at the picture below I have about 5 small mason jars filled and this morning they look like more is settling to the bottom. Is this what they should look like, or should I wait and grab more yeast of the bottoms of these mason jars and collect into more jars?

IMG_1596.JPG

Is that picture from last night or this morning? Doesn't look like a ton of yeast has really settled out of the solution yet... Normally, the following day after being in the fridge I'll see a very visible layer of yeast at the bottom. The liquid at the top also becomes more and more clear as time passes. As long as you followed the directions from that thread, you should be totally fine...

These are from this morning.

I will see how they look this afternoon when I get back from work. I might just go ahead and buy some more s-05 instead of using this this weekend for another pumpkin stout. Seeing as though there was a ton of pumpkin in the bottom of my fermenter as well, the yeast washing might not have been a good idea.

FWIW, when I reuse yeast, it is from a neutrally flavored, low ABV beer.

Trying to get yeast out of a fruit flavored brew will be difficult because of the extra sediment. Also, I don't know what the yeast may have picked up from the pumpkin.

Trying to get yeast out of a fruit flavored brew will be difficult because of the extra sediment. Also, I don't know what the yeast may have picked up from the pumpkin.

thanks, this was what I am thinking now as well. It crossed my mind beforehand, but i decided to give it a try anyway.

thanks, this was what I am thinking now as well. It crossed my mind beforehand, but i decided to give it a try anyway.

I am going to be attempting this, but time restrictions have got in the way. Trying to save 1056 from a very hoppy beer with the hop bits in it. Right now I have 2x 4 cup measuring cups in the fridge. They settled out nicely (except the hops seperation), but after a few days the liquid on top somehow seperated the yeast so now I have trub-liquid-yeast-liquid. Can I still save this?

lurker, I believe the hops should settle out. I was recently thinking about this, and you should be able to let settle out in a big jar, then again in little ones.

st0neski, I have the same opinion as beerkrump, I wouldn't bother washing yeast from a pumpkin ale, as there is going to be LOTS of other sediment...

Yes, I was going to try, maybe have to do several shake and settle tries. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen their yeast and liquid invert like that?

It looks to me like you got other "stuff" in there besides yeast. I could be wrong, I have only been doing it a short while.

David

Just start over. Its no big deal to toss some yeast. It IS a big deal to toss 5 gallons of crappy beer. Just start on the next batch.

You will win in the end!

David :)

I recently washed the yeast from my Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. It looked similar to yours (lots of loose pumpkin). I decided to go ahead and pitch it in my Founders Breakfast Stout Clone. It took about 30 hours before I saw any airlock action, but now it's bubbling right along. Of course, with a Breakfast Stout I don't see any problems with the yeast imparting any undesirable flavors.

Back