Harvesting and reusing yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gewehr43sniper

Reaction score
Yeast is cheap, but I still think this would be a fun project to do. I like using nottingham ale yeast, never had a problem with it and it starts making bubbles in the blowoff tube after 24 hours from a dry yeast packet.

I use a 7 gallon spike flex+ fermenter for 5 gallon brews, and after transferring, there's always several cups worth of yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter. I was thinking about sanitizing a large spoon and mason jar, and then scooping up the yeast into the mason jar and putting the lid on and place in the fridge for a few days to let the residual beer to settle to the top and the yeast to the bottom, then pour off the beer to have a jar of mainly yeast left. Then in my next brew dump in a cup or 2 of the yeast and let fermentation take off. Is this a good idea, and how long will the yeast surive in the mason jar in a fridge?

Yeast is cheap, but I still think this would be a fun project to do. I like using nottingham ale yeast, never had a problem with it and it starts making bubbles in the blowoff tube after 24 hours from a dry yeast packet.

I use a 7 gallon spike flex+ fermenter for 5 gallon brews, and after transferring, there's always several cups worth of yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter. I was thinking about sanitizing a large spoon and mason jar, and then scooping up the yeast into the mason jar and putting the lid on and place in the fridge for a few days to let the residual beer to settle to the top and the yeast to the bottom, then pour off the beer to have a jar of mainly yeast left. Then in my next brew dump in a cup or 2 of the yeast and let fermentation take off. Is this a good idea, and how long will the yeast surive in the mason jar in a fridge?
I pitched once a 6 months old, there was a 24 hours lag phase, but took off in the end. A suggestion, leave it with some beer. So you can taste the beer, it will have a strong yeast character, but if it's ok, it's good to go. If it's acid or spoiled, you will know it, throw out. Happened once, in my last brew. Was acid, an infection for sure. Have a package of dry yeast for backup, in this case.

Good luck!

I just swirl the slurry and pour into about 4 mason jars. I store those in the fridge until brew day. 1 jar for ales, 2 for lagers, if it’s been a while I might make it into a starter. Decant before using and they are good to go. Free yeast is free yeast.

Back