Yeast washing container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deremer

Reaction score
Does anyone see a problem using a cleaned and sanitized 2 liter soda bottle to wash yeast. I figure it can't be any worst that a pickle jar.

Does anyone see a problem using a cleaned and sanitized 2 liter soda bottle to wash yeast. I figure it can't be any worst that a pickle jar.

I think it would be fine for the first rinse, they are PET plastic. But what are you planning to decant the yeast and liquid into? I use mason jars for all my steps but the .5gal ones are hard to find and expensive. I really can't even see any reason not to use smaller 20 oz. PET soda bottles for the later wash and storage if you don't plan to save that long. Plastic is O2 permeable but the process is slow. That is why glass is preferred.

During the initial step of the wash your yeast will only be in the container for about 20 minutes...that's no problem. The stuff that falls to the bottom is trub and the yeast is still in suspension which you decant into a smaller container to store. For that I would personally use glass mason jars. You still need to boil your water and the nice thing about glass is that you can boil it to sterilize the storage container with the water.

You will have to sanitize the hell outta your plastic bottles and a funnel, boil your smaller mason jars and lids capturing that water when you pull them out (carefully, a pair of canning tongs is recommended...I burned the **** outta myself before I got a pair!) and seal to cool, cool the rest of your water, then pour the remainder of the cooled water into your sanitized plastic bottles to finish cooling in the fridge. Then proceed as outlined in the instructions to wash, settle, decant, and store.

Sorry for the book, but I was thinking the process through out loud as I am making a long move soon and plastic would transport better than glass...just made me consider doing this myself.

Latest posts

Back