Yeast viable after warm shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagythings

Reaction score
Received my Northern Brewer package today with a large box containing a few random items along with my grain bill, hops and yeast. It's WLP 500 if that makes any difference. By the time I received the package (2 day shipping) the ice pack was melted and the insulated envelope was now keeping the yeast at a toasty 85 degrees, give or take a few degrees. Not sure how long it was at that temp so now I'm concerned my yeast is damaged. I plan to make a starter for my brew day but should I be concerned about the whole vial being useless? Anything else I should be aware of with the vial being at a raised temp though shipping and possibly even higher temps in the back of a ups truck this afternoon?
Thanks in advance.

Make a starter, Im sure it will take off! I had yeast shipped from Texas to Arizona earlier this summer and Im sure it was subjected to much higher temps than PA. All's well with a starter.

davemattb said:
Make a starter, Im sure it will take off! I had yeast shipped from Texas to Arizona earlier this summer and Im sure it was subjected to much higher temps than PA. All's well with a starter.

Thank you. I've always had good luck with my yeast showing up still chilled so I had some concerns. I'll find out next week when I make the starter.

Latest posts

Back