Omega tropical IPA yeast average ferm time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijclarke

Reaction score
Pitched two packets of Omegas tropical ipa yeast to a 1.062 wort around 75 degrees Monday night. Left in wrapped in blanket by heating vent and it got up to 88 Tuesday evening when I got back from work so I immediately unwrapped it and brought to basement till it was around 82 and brought it back to main floor and it was 79 Wednesday morning. Wednesday night (2 days and 2 hours after pitch) I did an open transfer from SS comical to corny keg and attached a spunding valve. OG on day 2 (transfer day) was 1.020. Today (Day 6) I grabbed a sample and it’s at 1.014. It’s a diastatic yeast strain and so I’m expecting 85-90% attenuation but it’s possible my early transfer may have removed a bit too much yeast. How much longer should I go before cold crashing and dry hopping? Additional info: I mashed around 148 degrees and only did whirlpool hops (2oz citra 2oz nectaron) and plan on dropping hop bag held by mangent (1oz citra 1oz nectaron) after a couple days of cold crashing. Been trying to keep temp around 77-79 degrees but it’s just near a vent on my main floor. Wish I hadn’t gotten it so warm on first day of fermentation but at least the package recommended 70-85 and after tasting i don’t think I get fusel alcohol. It is straight pineapple and yeast funk so next time I’ll probably add more bitterness on brew day

Last edited:
Back