Yeast that was at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblism

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone.

I have some octoberfest harvested yeast and some belgian wit yeast that i had harvested and placed in my keezer. I finished my basement and my keezer was unplugged for about 6 weeks. Well I forgot that my yeast were in there. I have them canned in 1/2 pint mason jars, lids just turned tight.

Are they safe to use? the keezer had a little bit of mold in it from some moisture that was in there while the door was shut. All of the samples look fine from the human eye but don't know if i should be concerned when using them or not.

What color are the yeasties? If they've turned brown they're toast. You could brew up a small test beer with DME and give it a try. I bet they're probably salvageable.

i will probably try a small batch when i make my next brew, probably make an extra gallon of wort to try the yeasties with. I have several pint jars so i will just combine them all and see what happens.

The more I think about it, yeast stay at room temp for extended periods of time when you leave beer in a primary, they are still viable in those situations. They are currently in a near beer environment (no hops)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They are likely just sleeping.

Be careful opening those jars -- they're probably under pressure from being warmer!

Back