Yeast that is crossing oceans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowow0708

Reaction score
I had ordered some beer kits with Wyeast smack packs back in late january and they were shipped to a relative over in the US. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention to them that the yeast needs to be refrigerated, so it sat there in the box waiting to be sent over here to the Philippines for over a month, because there were some complications with another bunch of stuff that got delayed. But they told me that it was still winter at the time and I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. So now it's been shipped and will arrive sometime around mid-May. Who knows what kind of abuse those little packets had gotten on the trip.

Does anyone think that there is even a remote chance that the yeast will still be viable? Who knows how old the yeast was to begin with, and I have no idea how they were stored.

No way of knowing until you smack the first pack. If it swells there are some viable yeast. Not swelling is not 100% proof the yeast are not viable. Despite the potential problems, given the age of the yeast, starters will be necessary. This will tell you whether or not the yeast are viable and whether a simple starter is sufficient or step starters will be needed. Plan your first starter well before you plan on brewing. A finished starter of sufficient size can be kept in a refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
Good luck.

I just pitched some Safale K-97 last week that was sent by shipping container last month to an undisclosed country near you Bowow. The yeast has been bubbling away just fine.

Back