Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first batch on Sunday and I am positive that I did the yeast wrong. So I am repitching the yeast and I was told it would be best to do a starter.

Pretty much killed my yeast. Thought I needed a starter instead of just sprinkling and I am pretty sure I killed it!

Dry yeast only should be re-hydrated in warm tap water (probably boiled, then cooled). Many on here have just sprinkled to good results as well. Are you not seeing signs of fermentation? It can take a long time (3 days, in some cases) to get any signs. Also, don't look to the airlock. If it's bubbling, great. If not, it may not mean anything.

Look at the link I posted. If you scroll down it will give you all the directions on how to make a starter, but like I said, dry yeast doesn't need it. In the link, it explains that as well.

EDIT: I just re-read what you posted and realized what you did. Advice still stands, but it may not meld as a good response. Sorry.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. I repitched the yeast yesterday and I have great activity this morning!

Back