Yeast starter with 2 vials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfrr15

Reaction score
In a few days ill be doing my first big beer, a hopslam clone with an OG of 1.089. With a beer this big I figured I really need to use a starter but haven't done one yet. I have two vials of the yeast ill be using.

So, how should I make this starter? Should I just do one 2 liter and put both vials in or put them in 2 separate 2L starters? Thanks for the help guys!

Typically starters are made from a single vial, dregs, washed strains etc to grow the cell count up to a larger, more appropriate number of yeast cells. Starting with two vials is an alternative to using a starter. I havnt crunched the numbers and don't have the means to at the time but you can check out mr malty starter calculator (I believe) and you'll probably be able to skip the starter if pitching two vials....

I would personally do one starter with both vials.... actually did that a week or two ago doing a wee heavy. Was not getting the yeast until about 24 hours before brewday and knew I would not have time to build up a big enough starter from one pack.

Back