Yeast Starter temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I started a 1000ml yeast starter for a belgian triple i am going to do on saturday and I have a question regarding starter temperature. When I started the yeast starter the temp was about 65. But the next day and night, the temp got much higher more like 85. Since then I have the temp at 74F. Will this change it temp mess up this starter? Also, since I have started the starter on Wedns. there does not seem to be a change in yeast sediment at the bottom of the flask. Is it possible I stunted the cell growth?

Thanks in advance!:ban:

EDIT: it should be noted that this is my first attempt at a yeast starter so I am not sure if i am doing it right.

Some questions will help clarify this:

Is it bubbling at all?
How old was the yeast? (was it past its use by date)
How did you make the starter, or what was its OG?

Belgian yeast like it hot, so getting to 85 is not a concern.

Even if it was a concern it wouldn't be about the yeast health, rather the esters the yeast produced at thise temps.
Since the starter is such a small percentage of the total beer (and you will most probably decant) and it's a Belgian, this isn't a concern.

If you started it on Wed, the yeast have probably multiplied as much as they are going to so it makes sense that the sediment level hasn't changed.

+1 to the warm temps not having a negative effect on the yeast since it is a Belgian yeast.

Don't know how big the starter was, but I would certainly throw this in the fridge and decant before pitching.

As far as airlock activity, I never use an airlock so I go by how much foam I get when shaking. If you swirl the starter and it foams, then your pretty well OK. I think that too many forget that shaking the starter is so important for yeast health down the road. I spent Thanksgiving swirling my starter every 10 mins for 5 hours, that's how important it is. Of course, if you have a stir plate, your golden.

Don't know how big the starter was, but I would certainly throw this in the fridge and decant before pitching.

+1. Use the Mr Malty calculator to determine the amount of slurry you need to pitch.

The temperature of your starter ferment isn't as crucial to flavor as the temperature of the main ferment. If esters were produced at all, the levels will be well below the detection threshold. Moreover, it's not going to stress the yeast.

Now, I'm not telling you to ferment your starters at 100F! ;) Just don't worry if the starter gets to 80F.

Bob

Belgians' like warmer temps? My understanding is that they prefer regular temps, but that people use them at higher temps to get the off-flavors that are apparent in Belgian style beers.

Back