Yeast Starter - Step Up Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
Took a few years off of homebrewing due to kids, lack of time, etc. Just now getting back to it, truly forgot how much I enjoyed it. Brewed a Belgian wit last night and for the first time ever I made a starter. Process was simple and my airlock was going nuts within a few hours of pitching, very happy.

Making a stout next week with an OG of 1.071, WLP028 yeast with production date of 7/25/15 (~83% viability). Have used Mr.Malty and YeastCalc to run the numbers, from what I can tell I need about 245 billion cells for this beer. I have 2-L flask that I just bought, no stir plate yet so I will be intermittently shaking. Mr.Malty says I need two vials with my starter, yeastcalc shows how I can get there with a step up.

Curious about the step-up process and if I have this right...
  1. Make 1.5 L starter with ~6g of DME
  2. Let it run for 48 hours
  3. Cold crash for 24
  4. Make another 1.5L starter with ~6g of DME
  5. Decant first starter, swirl slurry and pitch into new starter

Does this process look right? Anything I am missing?

A few additional questions, is there any benefit/harm in having the step-up volumes be the same? Should I do a 1-L first then a 1.5? Or do I have to have more than 1.5L for this amount of yeast? Can I pitch the second stepped up starter at high krausen (w/1.5L volume I don't mind just pitching it all) or should I let it run for 48 hrs and cold crash for another 24 then decant and pitch on brew day?

Just trying to plan out my schedule here, first time stepping up a starter and only my second starter so trying to get this dialed in.

Any comments, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I usually do 1.6L starters (the most Ive been able to fit in a 2L without making a mess) and I just pitch the vial (or my harvested slurry from the last starter I made during a previous batch) right into the 1.6L. I usually like 4 days in advance with the final 24hrs to let the yeast settle to decant.

are you sure about the 6g? Thats incredibly low. I go by the rule 1g per 10ml so id do 150g DME in 1.5L

homebrew dad has a great yeast step up calculator:
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

punching in your #s it looks like the best bet for you would to do the first starter at 1.2L and the second at 1.6 this way you get enough yeast cells and your inoculation rate stays in the area you want it as well!

1000 ml = 100g of dme. 18 hours, cold crash for 12hrs, decant, make your 1500ml, pitch slury into this, 12-18 hours later, great starter!

Process looks good, with the change to the DME weight.

you can also boost yeast vitality by warming the yeast to room temp about 6 hours before pitching, adding 500mL of fresh 1.040 wort, swirling it letting it sit for a few hours, and pitching that whole liquid mess. I do it before every beer and I get krausen within 4 - 6 hours. Brulosopher's research has also suggested that a vitality starter can also make up for a lower pitch rate to a certain extent, so you could probably even get away with a single 1.5 liter starter if you shake it often enough.

Back