Yeast starter ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braggster

Reaction score
So a couple of weeks back I made a yeast starter but realized afterwards that I didn't use enough DME for the amount of water I used. I placed the starter in the fridge to let the yeast settle back down so I could use it in another starter. Today I made a new starter and added it to my flask after draining the old liquid off of it. I left the house for a few hours and when I came back the foil I had loosely around the top was off and I had what appeared to be dough on the outside of the flask. Is this starter ruined? Have I lost to much yeast? Probably not safe to use what is left in there.

Without looking at it, it sounds like the dough might be krausen. Post a pic to get better answers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397354672.601451.jpg
Hope this helps. Still see bubbles coming from the bottom. I have had to put the foil back on a couple of times. Plan is to brew tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back