yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustynails223

Reaction score
Hi if i was going to make a yeast starter and pitch one smack pack instead of having to pitch two smack packs. for instance i have a londan ale smack pack, to make an appropriate starter to go with that what yeast do i use to pitch into the starter? Do i pitch my smack pack into the starter? And how much yeast do you pitch into a starter?

Pitch the whole smack pack into the starter wort. MrMalty is a good place to start. Basically you pitch your smack pack into whatever volume the calculator tells you based on your wort size and starting gravity. YeastCalc is a good one too if you want to do stepped starters, meaning you grow it up in a smaller volume, chill and decant, and add a larger volume of wort the next step and so on. It will tell you theoretically how many cells you have at the end. Shoot for about 10 million cells per ml of your post-boil wort volume for the brew.

I just dida high gravity brew (target OG of 1.081) where I had bought two smack packs. I made a starter from one, then pitched the other with it (maybe not needed, but I wasn't goign to use that yeast otherwise).

I ended up with explosive fermentation. :)

Latest posts

Back