yeast starter question.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered here before but I made a starter last night, and was wondering how long a yeast stater was good for. I plan on brewing in a few days would it still be good?

Its been a little over 24 hours since the starter was made. Are you saying to put this in the fridge tonight, when I ready do I slowly pour out the spent wort then pitch the remaining yeast?

Let the starter go for 3 or 4 days then stick in the frig for 24 hours at least and pour off the top "beer".and ur good to go

Its been a little over 24 hours since the starter was made. Are you saying to put this in the fridge tonight, when I ready do I slowly pour out the spent wort then pitch the remaining yeast?

Most of your growth should be done after 24 hours, but let it run for a total of 48 hours on the plate to let glycogen build up. Then, keep it in the fridge until you need it, and dump off the liquid.

I have a starter in the fridge right now, how long is it good for in the fridge?

I have a starter in the fridge right now, how long is it good for in the fridge?

It's not really a question of good vs. not good. You'll gradually lose viability over time, and any contamination you may have will get more of an opportunity to take hold. The sooner you use it the better, but you'll still get best results before a couple of weeks have passed. Some yeast should still be alive even after months, though.

Back