Yeast Starter Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made up my yeast starter on Saturday as normal (1 1/4 cup DME plus 1 liter of water boiled for 20 minutes, cooled to 75 degrees, pitched #WLP002 yeast in growler and covered the top with aluminum foil and rubber band). Today is Wednesday and I have seen absolutely no signs of activity. I can usually see some very small bubbles but the liquid has remained completely still.

I thought one of the biggest reasons we make a starter is to make sure the yeast is viable. Is there any way to be sure my yeast is working besides the visual cues?

My LHBS guy convinced me to go ahead and brew and use the starter. I'm brewing Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale today :rockin:, so we'll see.....

There should be a noticeable odor, as well... though that can come from the wet yeast you dropped in even if they are dead. If you smell ethanol, though, that's a sign they're alive and functioning.

Smell and Taste the starter, it should taste like a fermented beverage. Not a good one mind you, but it will have alcohol in it.

Shake, shake shake! Shake the heck out of it - you should see bubbles/foam and CO2 escaping.

Back