Yeast starter OK after 1 week at 70°F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayupbrewing

Reaction score
Its all in the title...but to expand, I made yeast starter of US-05 and didn't brew and didn't have room in fridge long term so I just left it at room temp (foil cap). Will it still be OK? I'm thinking it should be fine, just decant off the liquid right?

Cheers.

i have never made a starter from dry yeast, but I couldn't imagine there being anything wrong with it. I am sure all of the fermentation is done, so it would probably be best to decant the extra liquid.

People reuse yeast slurry from full batches with no problem and they usually sit at room temp for much longer than 7 days.

Yep, I do that all the time and it's never given me any trouble. Give it a sniff and taste the decanted starter beer. Unless it tastes or smells like vinegar/garbage/etc. it's fine.

You might experience a longer lag time with your yeast. Dry yeast starters can deplete the reserves built into the yeast.

Rehydration is recommended for pitching the healthiest yeast.

Great, thanks folks...! Never thought about the fact people reuse yeast and that its been sitting there weeks too....:)

Back