Yeast Starter Alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
I was just thinking as about a starter alternative as Im stepping up a lager starter over the course of 5 days for my Friday brew. Since much of the yeast reproduction occurs in the firstin few hours, I'm thinking of starting off with a half gallon of wort from the actual brewt, letting that go in the fermenter for a few hours before adding another gallon, then finally the rest of the beer. This isnt much different from using a real wort starter I've done in the past by pulling a quart or two before my 60 minute hop additions and pitching 10 hours later at high krausen. My biggest concern isnt contamination as im careful with my handling/sanitization but more oxidation and if this procedure will get me where I need to be in Terms of yeast numbers and health.

Thoughts?

When I step starters, I start the smaller volume, crash the yeast, decant, pitch into larger starter, repeat as necessary. I decant as all the sugars are eaten by the yeast.

Oxidation is not a concern with starters as in fact you WANT oxygen to feed the yeast so they multiply.

Oxidation is only a concern in fully fermented beer.

I understand the oxygen is needed for yeast health and growth, but since I'm not decanting, just adding more wort, will that have a negative effect on the actual beer? Basically, the intent is to add wort in steps to increase yeast cells without stressing the yeast. Sure, I'm not adding low gravity wort for ideal yeast propagation, but since I'll be starting out with a small volume I'll still increase the number of cells until all the wort is in the fermenter.

Yes, this will work.

What you are describing is called drauflassen. Search for it on Google. The link to braukaiser.com describes it in detail. That's where I learned of it.

Basically, do exactly what you described but in halves instead of gallon increments. Also, wait until low krausen to add the second half.

Interesting read. I might have to give it a try next go around. I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait that long to get all tbe beer in the fermenter. The initial thought was much of the yeast reproduction occurs in the first few hours so I was hoping to have all the beer in the fermenter within 12 hours or so of flameout

Wow... exactly my thoughts but laid out much better. Im really liking their writeups. Might have to send them some yeast from one of my next brews.

Post your results if you try this method

I will try this soon.

The brewery I worked at had a conical 4x the size of the brewhouse. They would brew and pitch the yeast. Brew again (takes 9 hours), then add new wort to vessel. Brew (9 more hours), add wort. Brew (9 more hours), add wort.

So they would add 3x the amount of wort pitched into over 27 hours. Not sure the amount of yeast they pitched.

Good article and makes perfect sense. My question is do you think you would need to wait a full 24 hours, or would 4-6 hours suffice?

Hey,

Old post, but interesting method. I am thinking of applying this to 5 gallons of 1.040 lager: using 1 gallon of the wort as the "starter" and then adding the remaining 4 gallons a day or 2 later.

Has anyone used this method with success in a lager? I would think it would work better for a lager, due to larger yeast requirement, and 50 degree storage temp for the unfermented wort.

Hey,

Old post, but interesting method. I am thinking of applying this to 5 gallons of 1.040 lager: using 1 gallon of the wort as the "starter" and then adding the remaining 4 gallons a day or 2 later.

Has anyone used this method with success in a lager? I would think it would work better for a lager, due to larger yeast requirement, and 50 degree storage temp for the unfermented wort.

Yeah, braukaiser primarily makes lagers.

You can this calculator to give you an idea of how long it will take to grow the amount of yeast you want:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2015/02/starter-calculator.html

Latest posts

Back