Yeast started to swell in shiping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilddanz71

Reaction score
So I ordered a few kits from Austin and held them shipped with liquid yeast with ice packs
One of the packs started to swell up a little the Ice pack was melted
Is it still good?

I order mine from NB and despite the ice packs, they're pretty warm by the time they get to me in FL. I've used Wyeast every time and have not had a problem with their yeast even though it gets warm during shipping.

I will say the 1056 swells the most by far in my experience. I will also suggest that you always make a starter to make sure the yeast is viable after shipping.

More than likely it is just fine. Make a starter to be certain.

Your little guys just woke up before the alarm clock and started work early. Consider it a positive indication that you have healthy yeast who are anxious to work.

Thanks guys
Sorry to sound dumb but how do I make a starter?

For an average-sized starter:
Mix 160 g of DME with 1600 ml of water and 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient in a flask or jug, boil, chill, add yeast, and let it ferment. Then cold crash the flask/jug, decant the starter beer and pitch the yeast into the 5-gallon batch of beer.

How big a starter you need can be determined with the Mr Malty pitching rate calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com . Just use the same 1:10 ratio of DME to water.

I just received a wyeast smack pack that was partially swollen when it arrived, i was worried but pitched it anyways, after about 30 hours there was still no activity, so i guess it died in the southern heat. I think i will be sticking with dry yeast throughout the summer months for now on.

Back