Yeast second wind or festering disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WharfRat

Reaction score
My chocolate chile stout went into the secondary after two weeks and has been there for two weeks. Had one percent abv below the recipe target (to be expected, I suppose, as my original gravity did not quite hit target either).

I added dried chiles (which i toasted) and cocoa nibs (steamed for ten mins) a week and half ago and today i walked past my fermenting box and heard "glug, glug, glug". Looked in the box and there is a thick foam (looks like head on a guiness...thicker than the krausen was) on top and it's bubbling away! I was planning on bottling tomorrow or at least racking off of the chile/nibs, so i guess i find out then when i get the nerve to taste, but what are the chances my beer is not infected? Anyone had yeast do a second wind like that later in fermentation? Newer brewer, but pretty careful with sanitation, so I will very bummed if the batch is lost!

There are sugars in chilies and cocoa nibs both. So the yeast is probably going to town on that. Provided you had good sanitation I say RDWHAHB

thicker than krausen foam10 days after addition of chili and coca doesnt sound good but i would taste it and i would post pictures, maybe its "good" infection and you will end up with sour chocolate chile stout :eek:

Update for posterity. Bottled this beer two days after op. Tasted and smelled fine. As it had been re-bubbling for a few days before bottling, I am reasonably certain that I would have tasted any nastiness were it present.

I think the post above, guessing that the yeast must finally have figured out how to metabolize the sugars in the dry ingredients (or perhaps some process made available sugars to the yeast after sitting in the wort for awhile?) must have been correct. Good to know for the future!

Back