Yeast recommended temperature range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlevings12

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot lately about fermentation temps, and see a lot of people shooting for the lower end of the recommended range, especially for yeast neutral beers. It got me thinking. I know that fermentation can be a few degrees higher than the temp of the area that it's taking place in. So my question is whether the recommended range is referring to the temp of the beer or the temp of the room. For background, I'm making an IPA. My yeast recommended range is 62-75. It's an IPA yeast. Room temp is currently 64, so I'm in the clear. Just more curious about which temp the range is referring to.

Typically the wort can be at up to 10F higher than the room temperature when the fermentation is rigorous. The temperature range is for the beer, not the room. If your room is 64F, most likely the beer is between 67-74F. If you can get a thermometer to put on the fermenter it would be helpful. I would say it's fine, but if it does do most of it's active phase at higher temps, there will be a lot of by products, fusels, etc to clean up.

Which yeast are you using?

I start my ales at the low end, then after 3-5 days (depending on activity/gravity), ramp them up a degree or two a day until I've reached the upper limit. This gives the yeast a warming temp to clean up and finish after much of the fermentation is winding down.

Thanks! Two items:

Thermometer: I had one, but apparently it wasn't meant to be submersed in liquid because it stopped working. Any recommendation?

The yeast is a local Denver company, Inland Island. It's their Colorado IPA INIS-003. Guy at the LHBS recommended it.

Thanks for the insight on the temps, by the way.

They make thermometers that stick on the carboy, or you can use a thermopen or other digital thermometer.

That sounds like an interesting yeast. Might have to try it sometime. Let us know how the beer turns out.

Latest posts

Back