Yeast Recommendation: CDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a CDA this weekend and have second-generation 1056, 1272, 1332 and 1450 available. Planning to do 10g then splitting into two 5g batches, using two of the strains listed above. Will further split in the secondary or keg for dry hopping with different varieties or combos.

Which two of those four yeasts will be the best for this beer?

Disclaimer: I've never brewed a CDA, but I'd use 1272 if I did

Brewing a CDA this weekend and have second-generation 1056, 1272, 1332 and 1450 available. Which two of those four yeasts will be the best for this beer?
Both Denny's and the 1332 are more malt forward in a beer that should be dominated by hops. The other two are both clean, but I'd lean more toward the 1056 for show casing the hops.

For the second I'd go with Denny's for some contrast. The extra malt backbone may mellow out the dark grains without adding any of the fruityness that you may get with 1332.

1450 will take longer to ferment out than 1056, just fyi. But I still love to use it! I have it in my Black IPA right now.

Denny's yeast is boss in any American ale. I absolutely love it Scottish ales too. Damn fine yeast

Really appreciate the advice everyone! Leaning toward 1056 and 1450. Actually the 1056 will be third generation, not second as suggested above.

osagedr said:
Really appreciate the advice everyone! Leaning toward 1056 and 1450. Actually the 1056 will be third generation, not second as suggested above.

I think you are making the right choice. 1272 would make a great CDA too though. Honestly, you can't make a wrong pick with the strains you mentioned.

Without a doubt. I did one with 1272 that turned out great, and I can't wait to try it with 1450.

Latest posts

Back