yeast recco for milk chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckertonrr

Reaction score
Hello, Planning on brewing a milk chocolate stout in a few days, wondering what type of yeast would be best to bring out the chocolate flavor & the creaminess of the lactose? I was considering Wyeasts' 1084 Irish Ale (& White Labs equivalent) 1187 Ringwood, 1099 Whitbread, 1469 West Yorkshire. Any others to consider?

I like London Ale III. Even if it gets a little fruity, it's still nice. My experience is to mash a little lower than you would normally because it tends to be a lower attenuating yeast. However, it wasn't my wife's favorite.

Irish Ale is also a good option. I believe I have also tried Whitebread in mine.

If you have temp control, Kolsch yeast also works well. It has a nice neutral flavor and let's the chocolate & lactose shine.

I have used Irish Ale 1084 or Nottingham and had success with both.

I've used S-04, 1332 Northwest Ale and 1084 Irish Ale. The 1084 has been my far and away favorite. I now first brew a Dry Irish Stout and then a week later, after that has finished, I pitch a batch of Chocolate Milk Stout on half of the resultant yeast cake, saving a pint of the other half for later use. It ferments like a beast and flocculates tightly and compactly, making racking a breeze.

Latest posts

Back