Yeast for 7% Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a WPL but I've been doing the "Denny's" 1450 Wyeast in my stouts and been really happy. There might be better yeasts but it's certainly a good one. I use it around 65F and it seems to give a more malty flavor than other yeasts I've tried with that recipe. Attenuates from 1.070-ish to 1.028-ish, which works for the style but if you want to go further I'm not sure it's the one.

My go to ale yeast for most of what I do in the ale space is 1318- London 3.

White Lab equivalent would be London fog, if you can't find either, there's also Imperial Juice or the Verdant IPA.

The Haze Craze mad this strain both easier and harder to find, but it's been my go to do awhile and I've never brewed a NEIPA

Imperial Darkness reportedly attenuates well.
It didn't for me, I had another 1.070-ish stout (almost identical recipe with just hops and yeast change) only get to the low 1.030's with it.

It might for others, could have been a fluke, or a bad measurement, but my sample size of 1 it didn't attenuate well at all.

I use wlp001 on my stouts , I've also used 05. Both work well . I've used Darkness once , which worked as well . Attenuation % for Darkness is 75% , where 001 is 85% . Those are the high end percentages .

Notty is my go to for RIS. My last one was 1.134 and finished at 1.028,no fusels, and is in the barrel for a year or so. I always make a Bitter or golden ale at 1.040-1.048 and then repitch the cake.

I fell in love with WLP013 London Ale for making stuff like English Porters, Dark Milds, etc. I find that it adds just a touch of wood/tobacco character that I really enjoy. I have been mostly using dry yeast for the past few years, and I have not quite found a dry yeast I like as much. I rebrewed a batch of my English Porter but with a pack of Imperial Pub that I had on hand, and it just did not turn out the same.

Years ago I did a split batch of WLP013 vs S-04. The S-04 batch had that touch of tartness that it is (was?) known for. I have read that S-04 no longer gives that tart note. I used S-04 last year in an English Bitter that turned out great. It might be time to repeat the WLP013 vs S-04 trial, and see if S-04 can be my English yeast of choice.

Do you want high attenuation or do you want a little sweetness left? I'm thinking maybe CBC-1, although I've never used it for primary fermentation.

fwiw, Lallemand specifically includes this line in the brewing properties for CBC-1: "LalBrew CBC-1™ is not recommended for primary fermentation of beer."

Cheers!

I like to use Wyeast 2565 - Kolsch for my stouts and start fermentation at 56F and raise it a degree a day until it’s done. The yeast flavors stay clean and let the grains & hops shine.

White Labs 029, on the other hand, does not recommend going below 62F.

Of white lab's offerings I've only used WLP028 ( Edinburg Ale) for stouts , Wee Heavies and Scottish exports . It made good beer but took forever to finish . If your not in a hurry I can recommend it .
Otherwise Nottingham is a good choice IMO ( I've gone back to dry yeast exclusively and it's my go to ) .

Back