Yeast ranch - Is this all I need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why distilled water is used (sorry, didn't read that other thread) by my understanding is that using the glycerin is to prevent the yeast cells from rupturing.

I think the distilled water is used at non-freezing temp to force the yeast into dormancy. As you indicated, the DI water will generate ice crystals and shear the yeast if the sample is frozen.

I think the distilled water is used at non-freezing temp to force the yeast into dormancy. As you indicated, the DI water will generate ice crystals and shear the yeast if the sample is frozen.

Ahhh, ok. It's basically used to wash the yeast then and store them in the distilled water as a sort of barrier. Makes sense but I doubt it would keep in a fridge for more than a month or maybe 2 like that... but I would be curious what people have actually seen in practice.

The distilled water thing is pretty cool. Basically, you completely starve the yeast so they go dormant. They can be kept at room temperature for very long periods (years). The downside is that they hold small quantities of yeast so you would use them as a culture bank then slant out of the distilled storage before building up a colony.

The distilled water thing is pretty cool. Basically, you completely starve the yeast so they go dormant. They can be kept at room temperature for very long periods (years). The downside is that they hold small quantities of yeast so you would use them as a culture bank then slant out of the distilled storage before building up a colony.

I'm switching away from my distilled water storage and back to slants. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what, but cell viability has diminished in my stored cultures. On less than sixth month old stores I can dip a loop in and plate out a culture without any problem. On cultures that are 9-12 months old I'm unable to just use a loop to get any viable cells, I've taken to transfering a small amount of the liquid to a plate and swirling it, then transfering to another plate.

Has anyone done any research on microscopes? I don't want to spend much over $100 and I need at least 400x (I think). The one I listed is pretty much a shot in the dark. I am sure it works, but maybe it isn't the best for the money???

Just answered my own question. Pretty unanimously recognized as the best scope for the price...

http://www.eyewearplanet.com/lomp1modbrig.html

eyewearplanet_2086_189913460

Great thread, I'm still in the stone age of washing yeast and storing them with boiled water in sanitized PET soda bottles.
Interesting reading though, thank you all.

Thanks to all involved in this thread, there's some valuable information here that I will be referring back to when I'm ready to take this jump.

Not sure why distilled water is used (sorry, didn't read that other thread) by my understanding is that using the glycerin is to prevent the yeast cells from rupturing. How can distilled water prevent this? Definitely not a technique SWMBO recognizes.

Dense slurry combined with 50% glycerin solution in a 50-50 combination. Shake it up and freeze it like that. Should keep indefinitely in a -80C freezer. Not sure longevity in a freezer in the normal -20 C range you're probably going to achieve.

I guess I don't fundamentally understand how the distilled water method helps the cell rupture issue.

Actually, according to this presentation, -20C is better for storage than -80C.

1) Not sure I agree with your conclusion based on his experiment. He froze directly to -80 C vs step freezing. Neither did he measure long-term storage capability or viability at -80C vs -20C

2) 3 elite Universities SWMBO'd has worked at in Yeast Genetics store culture stock at -80C.

I'll have her review that presentation, but I don't think it necessarily proves anything about -20 vs -80 as a long term storage temp. If anything, it only shows that the rate of temp change should be controlled. Beyond that, not sure there is any further conclusion to be drawn.

The differences between -20C and -80C was not related to storage temperature (all cells were stored at -20C), it was about the method of freezing. The author varied the starting temperature of the cell suspension and the freezing source (slow cooling in a freezer vs. rapid cooling with a liquid bath). The storage temperature trials weren't detailed enough on the slides to glean any useful information other than the lack of cryoprotecant in frozen samples will kill the yeast.

The standard microbiology procedures for cell storage employs a cryoprotectant, followed by flash freezing in liquid nitrogen and storage at -80C. Typically the cells are kept on ice for all manipulations up the the flash freezing step. The presentation above is consistent with those standard methods. It is interesting to see in the presentation that rapid freezing of the sample with a dry ice/ethanol slurry appeared to reduce the cell viability. But then again, it's colony counting and a small numbers game with no repeat trials. Chances are the differences between flash freezing and slow cooling are within the cumulative error.

Edit: Randar got in before me. ;) I agree with what you've stated. All of the cell work in the labs I've been store cells at -80C or in a liquid nitrogen dewar, the later being preferred for the long-term storage of certain mammalian cell lines.

Yeah, we store most stuff in -80C too, but I don't work directly with yeast - so it sparked my curiosity. Thanks for clearing it all up. I will go move my stocks from -20C to -80C :D

I just listened to this podcast:
February 7, 2008 - Advanced Yeast Handling
Home brewer Anthony Fischer gives James and Steve an overview of advanced yeast storage and propagation techniques he uses in the lab.

on basic brewing radio, and now I am leaning back toward slanting...

I think in the end I will have to do both and choose for myself.

I just listened to this podcast:

on basic brewing radio, and now I am leaning back toward slanting...

I think in the end I will have to do both and choose for myself.

Yes, plating and slanting might be the best choice for you at this point. You are investing in a microscope and possibly a laminar hood and you sound like you are interested in purity, cell count and viability.

Honestly, I would love to plate, maintain slants and perform dilutions and cell counts. Apartment living does not grant me that option. That is the main reason for me having a frozen yeast bank instead.

Just as an update to the -20 to -80 thing. While the original presentation showed the benefits of freezing at -20 vs -80.

SWMBO'd offers this advice:

They use liquid nitrogen only when they want to arrest the cells at a given stage or when they want to rupture the cells to harvest protein or RNA from the cells and don't care about the shearing of the cell walls. Viability is essentially lost doing a flash-freeze like this, so it is of no use to us homebrewers.

As for -80 vs -20. They go from room temp to -80. No messing around at -20 or step-freezing. She does admit that slowly freezing the samples would improve viability, but they don't INSTANTLY freeze when you put them into the -80 from room temp, so this is good enough. Again, the goal is long term storage and viability vs high viability at like 16 months. You're going to have to step them up from a small starter regardless of how you decide to store them, so what's the difference between 25% and 33% viability at 12 weeks or whatever that presentation stated. That timeframe is basically irrelevant if your goal is a LONG term storage bank and only representative of the loss of viability due to the freezing process itself, not the effect of the storage temp per se, IMO.

but even if I assume the numbers in the presentation are correct and the percentage of viable cells is in the 25% range (going to

And let me reiterate. Some want only to be able to brew 6-12 batches from a yeast strain in a 12 month period, and slants and the like would be perfectly fine for their needs.

Others may want to preserve their own yeast banks, collect cultures from bottles of commercial brews (I still have a sample of Chimay Blue sitting in a freezer at Johns Hopkins somewhere) and such and their needs are quite different. Slants are not a really viable long term preservation method for these people and they need to essentially put their best effort into properly preserving the yeast strains they desire. Doing so probably includes trying to store the yeast at a proper long-term storage temp.

And any of us, regardless of which we are trying to do is succeptible to power outages, equipment failure, etc. So keep that in mind when designing your systems. Is there any sort of back-up plan or redundancy? Get your friends into it and get samples in more than one locale, LOL...

Randar,
You store the distilled water yeasts at room temp. You don't freeze them to keep them longer, you starve them.

B

I deem my yeast lab, the Godisgoode yeast lab.

Godisgoode_Yeast_Bank.png

I am getting an itchy trigger finger. I have to make sure I can cover my property taxes before I can spend all the money. Hopefully I will have my finances figured out tonight and can buy a ton of stuff!

:rockin:

Ha! That is a great crest design. Awesome sauce. I can't wait to see this thing. I used to work in a bio-lab so I am interested in making my own after I see yours.

I bought my microscope from a guy on eBay nearly a month ago now. However, it still hasn't shown up and no response to many contact attempts. I will give it another couple of days then I will start a complaint. I hope it even works if it does get here. Oh well... I will post pics here when I am done with this. It will probably be about a month or so though.

I understand the 2p twentE is probably keeping you pretty busy lately.. but any progress on your yeast ranch? Any successful cultures? I just started mine up and have yet to plate out some first samples but I've made up my slants and media.
Always on the lookout for your progress, keep us updated BK! goodluck and cheers

I have been working on the Brewery, but I do have a microscope and my stir plates... at least it is something:D

I am hoping to be done with the brewery by the end of March (or sooner fer cryin out loud). I really only need to come up with $120 and I have everything I need. Sounds easy, tough to do.

Back