Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1966

Reaction score
I saved the yeast from my last beer in case I brewed again soon. I'm going to brew in a couple of weeks. The yeast has been in a sealed, sanitized container in the refrigerator. The yeast will be about 6 weeks old when I brew again. Will the yeast be okay to use?

Thanks for the help.

After 6 or 8 weeks, it would probably be smart to make a starter to make sure the yeast is viable and "going" before you add it to the beer.

The calculator here will give you an idea as to how much of the yeast slurry you should re-pitch and how viable it will be after 6 or 8 weeks:
Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Personally, I'd take the amount of yeast suggested by the tool above and drop it into a small starter to make sure it's active before I pitch it into the wort. I like to make positive my yeast it good before adding it. It removes the "is my beer fermenting?" guesswork from the equation.

Well brew day was Friday, we smelled and tasted the yeast everything seemed okay. We pitched the yeast and in just under 24 hours the fermentation had begun. I just wanted to post that the yeast was still good after 6 weeks.

Oh ya. I have used yeast after 8-10 week no problem. Just make a starter and your good to go. Glad to hear it worked out for ya.
Cheers
JJ

Back