Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardowling

Reaction score
Hi all, I am getting back into Homebrewing after taking a few (6) years off and I ordered a kit from my LHBS, the kit I ordered is True Brew Double IPA kit which comes with dry yeast...I am not a fan of dry yeast can anyone recommend a good liquid yeast for this kit? Thanks in advance.
Al

Hi all, I am getting back into Homebrewing after taking a few (6) years off and I ordered a kit from my LHBS, the kit I ordered is True Brew Double IPA kit which comes with dry yeast...I am not a fan of dry yeast can anyone recommend a good liquid yeast for this kit? Thanks in advance.
Al

Why aren't you a "fan" of dry yeast. Modern dry yeast is no better or worse than liquid....

I agree that it depends on the dry yeast. Safale US-05 is a good neutral dry yeast for an IPA with a good pitching rate from the sachet. Depending on the OG of your double IPA, you may need 2 packs. If you're dead set on a liquid yeast, WLP-001 and Wyeast 1056 are about the same Sierra Nevada strain, but you should consider a starter for 5 gallons of wort. You can use Mr. Malty to calculate how much yeast youll need: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Why aren't you a "fan" of dry yeast. Modern dry yeast is no better or worse than liquid....

Probably because his experience is with the no-name yeasts that come with kits that use lots of sugar.

Personally I use liquid, but that is probably because I have lots of mason jars filled with several different varieties, and most (actually all) of the yeast varieties are not available in dry.

Replace the 'canned' yeast with S-05, and it should do well. S-04 is probably more to style, but does not attenuate as well.

Back