yeast packet still viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I made a starter last night for 1335. After I pitched the yeast in the starter, I saw the production date was 9-24-13. Fast forward to this morning, I don't see a change in the starter from last night. I am using a stir plate. Is this packet still viable?

It should be unless the yeast was killed someway.

I've had lag times in starters too, but once they caught on they worked as expected or made up for lost time. I'd give it 2 days on the stir plate before worrying.

IslandLizard is correct. Because your yeast pack is so old, you had a relatively small number of viable yeast cells. They'll come back.

Also, keep in mind that it is common not to "see" activity in a starter. The volumes are so low you won't get a kraeusen.

Take a piece of cling wrap. Spray it with StarSan.

Put it over the top in place of the foil and rubber band it in place (so you get a good seal).

Watch the cling wrap. If it begins to bulge upward, you've got activity.

I've made a starter with a vial of WL yeast that was over a year old with no problem, actually got me a ribbon.

Yeah,it's probably slow building up to visible fermentation. I made a small starter for a 2 year old Cooper's 7g ale yeast packet once. It wound up needing a blow off the next morning after pitching into a pale ale recipe of mine.

I should have started the starter earlier. I have to brew tomorrow as I am leaving on Monday for 2 weeks. I will try the cling wrap now

I tried the cling wrap test and the plastic is pushing out... I guess that means it is viable. yay!

So I just took a gravity sample of the starter - 1.040... I assume the yeast were dead? The wort tasted a little cidery... gonna pitch in an hour hopefully someone responds.

I have a packet of S-04 or a slurry of denny's favorite.. any thoughts either way

Recipe:
FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (65.2%)
1.5 lb - American - Aromatic Malt (16.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (5.4%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Special B (5.4%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Naked Oats (5.4%)
0.2 lb - American - Chocolate (2.2%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.2, Use: First Wort, IBU: 6.17
0.4 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 23.87
2 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.2, Use: Boil for 0 min

Recipe looks yummy. You're leaving and there's no-one to take care of your fermentor? As you know, the first days are most critical...

So a good 24 hours on the stir plate didn't grow enough yeast for a pitch. Is that Denny's slurry you have an active one or dormant? If active I'd definitely pitch that. If very dormant (few weeks in fridge) it may work or not.

Rehydrated S-04 is pretty much fool proof, although it could become volcanic, same with Denny's.

Back