Yeast overflowed through airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineANDbrine

Reaction score
So I had a Belgian blonde ale in my primary and it seemed to be fermenting fine. After 3 days I came home and it seemed that all of or the majority of he yeast bubbled out of the airlock. I cleaned it up and checked my specific gravity.. It was 1.019. According to the recipe I'm following, my target SG was 1.012.

It smells and tastes just fine.

Has anybody had this happen?

You. Clean up and sanitize the airlock and bung then replace and let it finish fermenting. Next time maybe you could use a blow off tube.

Hello said:
You. Clean up and sanitize the airlock and bung then replace and let it finish fermenting. Next time maybe you could use a blow off tube.

I did that when it happened. That was 5 days ago and the gravity hasn't moved since then.

i ask b/c i was just reading a method where one can ferment at 70 then raise the temp one degree every day until it reaches 80, hold there for 2 weeks (approximate)
can't find that link, tho. :(

Hello said:

I ended up letting it sit for another week. The gravity finally went down and it tasted pretty decent. I bottled and am just waiting to see how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back