Yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emiller0408

Reaction score
So I decided to do up a 2 gal batch of cider finally. I bought some 100% apple juice from the store, added some corn sugar(5oz left over from a batch of beer). Added some ale yeast and away we go. OG was 1.060. After the fact, I realized I forgot some yeast nutrient. Does anyone think I can add nutrient with fermentation already started?it will have been fermenting for 24 hours by the time I add the nutrient and stir a little.

Definitely not a problem to add nutrient mid-fermentation. It's actually recommended to split the nutrient into two equal amounts and add them around 1/3 and 2/3's in.

Thanks, added the nutrient and in a matter of seconds, the fermentation went nuts!!!! It was awesome.

That was just fine particles(yeast nutrient) knocking CO2 out of solution. it had nothing to do with current yeast activity.

That was just fine particles(yeast nutrient) knocking CO2 out of solution. it had nothing to do with current yeast activity.

Awww, take the fun out of it! We could have strung the new guy along a bit, and make him think he had mutant 'pirahna yeast'!!

=-O

Lol.

Lol....on the mutant yeast. It was only some left over yeast from a can of liquid extract I used in an IPA batch.

BTW, I'm not new to brewing, just cider.

On the subject of yeast nutrient....I don't live near my home brew supplier and I won't be out that way for a while. Is there something I can use in place of yeast nutrient so I don't have to wait two weeks to start my cider?

There are a number of people who recommend a long cool(55-65F), nutrient poor fermentation for cider. Some yeast nutrients are just a mixture of USP grade Diammonium phosphate, and 'brewers yeast'. That is dead yeast which can be made by boiling a sachet or two of regular bread yeast.

I just started my cider 4 days ago and didn't add any yeast nutrient and now I'm having... Well, my cider is having a terrible case of rhino farts. I can't make it to my LHBS any time soon. Will my batch be ok if I let it settle out after fermentation is complete?

WilliamSlayer said:
Awww, take the fun out of it! We could have strung the new guy along a bit, and make him think he had mutant 'pirahna yeast'!!

=-O

Lol.

Piranha yeast?!?! Nooooo
BADGERYEAST! Lol

@ Kylelarson: Rhinofarts aren't the end of the world. In Edwort's apfelwein recipe they're almost guaranteed. As long as the airlock is active you won't run into any issues. Once activity slows/stops you can degas or transfer to secondary to knock some gasses out. But that really isn't necessary. 9 times out of 10 rhino farts won't affect the final taste of your cider. It just means the yeast don't have enough nitrogen.

Leithoa said:
@ Kylelarson: Rhinofarts aren't the end of the world. In Edwort's apfelwein recipe they're almost guaranteed. As long as the airlock is active you won't run into any issues. Once activity slows/stops you can degas or transfer to secondary to knock some gasses out. But that really isn't necessary. 9 times out of 10 rhino farts won't affect the final taste of your cider. It just means the yeast don't have enough nitrogen.

Thanks! I plan on transferring to a secondary in a couple says to let it settle out for a couple weeks. Hopefully that takes care of it!

Back