Yeast Nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is new to me. I didn't think yeast nutrient was needed in beer. Everything I've read says that wort has everything the yeast needs for a healthy fermentation.
Can you tell if adding nutrient to your brews make a difference?

RichBrewer said:
This is new to me. I didn't think yeast nutrient was needed in beer. Everything I've read says that wort has everything the yeast needs for a healthy fermentation.
That is what my crazy LHBS guy says too. But that guy freaks me out so I'm not sure what to believe with him.

I only use it in my starters due to the relatively large amount of yeast going into a relatively small amount of wort with limited amounts of the necessary nutrients present. But that's just me.

John

RichBrewer said:
I didn't use it in my first few batches. When I tried it, I seemed to get a faster start to the fermentation.

johnsma22 said:
I only use it in my starters due to the relatively large amount of yeast going into a relatively small amount of wort with limited amounts of the necessary nutrients present. But that's just me.

John
That's probably a good point. I'll try that to see if my starters behave any better. Right now they go for about 1-2 days before I get that lovely fermentation smell.

Getting a stir plate and oxygenating with pure O2 has made a big improvement in my starters. This stir plate also heats, so I keep the starters at about 80˚F for maximum cell growth. I no longer make starters as small as the one shown in the photo. Minimum starter that I make now is about 2000ml.

John

4295-DSC02105.jpg

cap46 said:
Want to try myself how long in the boil, and how much.
Sorry, forgot to answer. They come in capsules. You just put the whole capsule in 10 minutes before flame out or you could open the capsule and put it in a starter when you boil it (I don't boil my starters for very long)

Thanks. I havn't had any problems yet but wanted to give it a try. Will do next time I brew.

Back