Yeast Nutrient in Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's mostly insurance in case your extract or water is deficient in any trace nutrients, I usually use just a tiny tiny pinch of fermaid-k or wyeast nutrient.

I made a starter recently for the first time (well, did a trail run using washed yeast that went down the drain before the real thing).

Used a tiny amount and the starter seemed to do fairly well. When I made the actual wort I added the recommended amount and boy did my fermentation kick off! Pitched into a 1.072 wort (about 4 of those points were from DME & Dextrose) and fully utilised my blow off tubes lol.

Using WLP550 it went right up to its higher temp limits (78F) according to the whitelabs spec and had to get some cooling done as I didn't want that much yeast profile in there (guess it's too late now though).

I always use it. It's very cheap and a starter doesn't need much of it. I think the rate is like 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallons, so for a starter...it's a very small amount.

Back