Yeast nutrient in canned starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ras07

Reaction score
I've read (I think) all the posts on canning starter wort, but I don't think anyone's discussed yeast nutrient. Does anyone add the nutrient at canning time? Or do you typically do it when you use it for yest propagation? Or not at all?

I've read (I think) all the posts on canning starter wort, but I don't think anyone's discussed yeast nutrient. Does anyone add the nutrient at canning time? Or do you typically do it when you use it for yest propagation? Or not at all?

I add nutrient and energizer per the suppliers instructions to my starters. I usually make about 2 gal of wort and add enough nutrient and energizer for 2 gallons and then can it all. I have been doing this for years.

Just made my first ever run of pressure canned starter wort. I used the instructions and proportions included in this article:
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/starter-made-easy-pressure-cooking-your-starter-wort-ahead-time

I am cooling my first batch and I see what I am calling hot break. Is that all this is or could it be that I missed a step somewhere? My gut says it's just hot break and I would need to do is decant this when I make my starter.

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

That's break material, indeed. I reduce the canned break material by boiling my starter wort prior to filling jars, and chilling down to 80s with a copper immersion chiller. Boil and chill leaves significant hot and cold break in kettle.

Also, copper during boil supplies some yeast nutrient.

I add 1/2 tsp nutrient to each quart jar before canning so I know they have equivalent amounts.

Two sizes I use are cup and quart mason jars. I get 800-900 mL wort from quart jars, and 200 mL from the cups after decanting. The latter is ideal for slant steps.

Thanks for confirming that. To be honest, now that I know that's all it is, I may stick with this method. It was all too easy. I put 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient in each jar, then used my hop scale to measure out the DME the article called for. Quarts got 3.2 ounces by weight and pint jars got 1.6.

Then I just topped off with water, shook until dissolved and put them into the canner. 3 gal of water and 3 pounds of DmE yielded 12 quart jars and 6 pints.

Now that I have some starter wort ready at hand, I need to tackle my next project, yeast washing.

Since I have the canner, I am thinking about sterilizing and canning some RO water to used for the yeast wash.

The hot break is nitrogen for the yeast, ain't it?

I'm just about to can my first jars of starter. I'm going to use pint jars, LME, and dechlorinated hard tap water. Haven't decided whether to add nutrient or not.

Back