Yeast in Transit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered the Big Honkin' Stout Extract Kit from Northern Brewer 2 days ago with some Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. I looked at my tracking info on the UPS website and noticed that I won't get it until next Tuesday! I ordered an ice pack for the yeast, but there's no way it will last the trip. Will my yeast survive the long trip without refrigeration?

Good question. I got some yeast in from Austin last night and the ice pack was HOT. This is the first time the yeast has ever been delivered to me like this but I stuck it in the fridge and shrugged it off. I predict they'll be fine.

I've had stuff sent with and without and ice pack...and the yeast has been fine.

A similar question...does any keep their ice packs for other uses? I'm wondering if they can be reused as ice packs for injuries or to help cool the wort, etc.

I had mine shipped from midwest and it didnt have a ice pack and I got it shipped to my mothers house so when I came back from school it would be there. She failed to read the huge "KEEP REFRIGERATED UPON DELIVERY" on the box. I put it in the fridge and when I made it i just took it out shook it up and pitched it and it was fine as far as I know. I have yet to taste it but im 3 weeks in and its still active.

I'm sure there's some viable yeast in there. Just make a starter for it to guarantee you get a good pitch.

x2 Just make starter to make sure you have viable yeast, should be fine. You should do this anyways when using liquid yeast.

just got a "hot" ice pack & wyeast 4 days in transit...

smacked the pack as soon as I opened the package and now it's a nice starter for tomorrows brew day!

A similar question...does any keep their ice packs for other uses? I'm wondering if they can be reused as ice packs for injuries or to help cool the wort, etc.

I've used them to keep a beer or two cold :) but they aren't very durable....

Back