Yeast identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam04

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently cultured some yeast from an IPA and grew up a small aerobic starter. When I looked at it under a microscope I can see S. cerevisiae, but also lots of smaller cells that I can't identify.

I actually emailed the brewery (photos included) and the QA/QC guy said it was likely mold. But, the sub-sample I took smells and tastes good (very fruity), and the small cells were dominant from the get go, and clearly budding. Also, the starter doesn't look gross.

Ideas on what this is? Or was the guy from the brewery right and its just mold...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photos (1).zip
    996.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190908_150941708.jpg
    IMG_20190908_150941708.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20190908_150959021.jpg
    IMG_20190908_150959021.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20190911_101129424.jpg
    IMG_20190911_101129424.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 52
I'd be more worried about what appear to be nice specimen of L. brevis in the second picture. Mold won't grow during anaerobic fermentation, L. brevis might.

Last edited:
What's the pH of the starter?

Pulled another sample this morning. PH is about 4. Its definitely producing CO2, so there will be carbonic acid in solution. Don't taste lactic acid.

The off chance that there are lactobacillus in the starter is less interesting to me than the identity of these smaller "yeast?" cells. Anybody have ideas based off morphology?

So far, S. Cerevisiae are out competing the smaller "yeast" by a long shot, so whatever they are they don't seem brew worthy.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_094906731.jpg
    IMG_20190912_094906731.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 28
You misunderstood my post. I wasn't worried that your starter might "theoretically" be infected with L. brevis, I was providing you with an actual (tentative) identification of these smaller cells. In other words, your starter is infected with lactobacillus.

You misunderstood my post. I wasn't worried that your starter might "theoretically" be infected with L. brevis, I was providing you with an actual (tentative) identification of these smaller cells. In other words, your starter is infected with lactobacillus.

Got it, sorry I misunderstood. But, don't those cells seem a little large for bacteria, they are comparable in length to the yeast?

Lactos can reach up to 10um in lenght depending on the actual type. Brevis is one of the largest. 10um is comparable to a yeast cell's diameter. They are however much thinner than a yeast cell.

:off: I don't know if it was you or the guy who posted about larvae in his wine, but one of you is responsible for my nightmares last night! :smh:

Lactos can reach up to 10um in lenght depending on the actual type. Brevis is one of the largest. 10um is comparable to a yeast cell's diameter. They are however much thinner than a yeast cell.

Cool. Thanks again for you help. I'm pretty new to microscopy, so its nice to have others input. Down the drain it goes...

Back