Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
What are the benifits of harvesting and reusing yeast other than cost. If cost is it then for the sake of $4.95 its hardly worth the hassle. I mean does yeast get better with age?

For $5 divided amongst 5, 10, or more batches it seems well worth it to me, but maybe I'm just tight. It's also a hugh PITA to me to have to drive to the LHBS or order off the web when I have all the ingredients in my cabinet/freezer for a batch of beer except for the yeast.

It's also possible to harvest lots of yeast and ensure a much higher pitching rate than with a smack pack or vial of yeast alone.

Also, it adds to the whole HomeBrew experience. Part of the DIY ethos, I guess. I just started harvesting yeast, I feel like a cool kid doing it.

It's a substantial savings if you look at it from a percentage of the total cost of the batch. Not counting yeast, a simple run-of-the-mill batch of ale will cost me about $20. Throw in a fresh $5 smack-pack for every batch, and the cost of my batches just went up 25%.

-walker

Oh, they're wonderful (the smack-packs), you can take out all of your primal rage, all in the service of delicious brew. Heh. Awesome.

P funky said:
Oh, they're wonderful (the smack-packs), you can take out all of your primal rage, all in the service of delicious brew. Heh. Awesome.
I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to find that little sucker in the bag so I can smak the hell out of it. Frustrating...:mad:

Ah- hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check it out next time.

Although, watching the smack pack inflate always reminds me of that one woman in Total Recall (the one who blew up, not the one with the three boobs).

homebrewer_99 said:
Thanks, again, but like I stated earlier, I usually don't use smak-paks.

whether you use them or not is irrelevant... you asked where you could get liquid yeast for $5. We're just letting you know.

-walker

homebrewer_99 said:
Thanks, again, but like I stated earlier, I usually don't use smak-paks.

Hmm, perhaps other people would be interested?:drunk:

And to pop inner packet, don't follow their lame instructions on the pouch or you will go insane trying to squeeze it on a flat surface. It's much easier to lay the entire pouch in the palm of one hand and smack the entire thing with your flat, outstretched other hand. Works everytime on the first smack.(of course with the wife's posterior, perhaps it is with practice....have to ponder...);)

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
And to pop inner packet, don't follow their lame instructions on the pouch or you will go insane trying to squeeze it on a flat surface. It's much easier to lay the entire pouch in the palm of one hand and smack the entire thing with your flat, outstretched other hand. Works everytime on the first smack.

I slam the whole thing with a big, thick phone book or cutting board.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I slam the whole thing with a big, thick phone book or cutting board.

-walker

I smash it between my size 12 boot and the kitchen floor.

TGIF!! Time for a HB y'all!

Like, uh, some have said they go boot-style, or use PhoneBook-Fu. As long as you aren't hitting it was a sharp or pointy thing, you can really have at it. And sometimes, frankly, you have to.

Back