Yeast harvest in a uni-tank w/dump valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Using a uni-tank with dump valve, I am planning to save harvested yeast for reuse. Just getting a plan together and figuring out a process. Norcal Solutions sells a TC flanged lid that fits a Mason jar for direct collection as it attaches to the valve.

Should I do a trub dump when fermentation starts slowing and discard that first collection? Then install the jar and leave the dump valve open to start filling the jar with viable yeast? Since the first thing that fills the jar will be beer, will the yeast drop into the jar later on and displace the beer with yeast to harvest and reuse?

Have never tried this method, so looking for advice from others who have harvested yeast this way. Thanks!

Last edited:
I use a conical fermenter. I dump the first trub on the first day.

After about 3-5 days the yeast comes out looking good.

David

I use a conical fermenter. I dump the first trub on the first day.

After about 3-5 days the yeast comes out looking good.

David

Thanks, David. Are you using a collection jar or sight glass with the valve open, or do you open the valve to fill quickly?

I ordered a NorCal TC lid that allows me to use a wide mouth Mason jar to collect. I figure I'll dump on day 1 or 2 to get rid of most of the break material and toss. Maybe on day 4 attach the jar and leave the valve open so good yeast will fill. Not sure if this will fill instantly or maybe leave it open to let the yeast settle and compact into the jar.

Conical fermenter just has a valve at the bottom of the cone. Open and let the stuff flow out.

A jar would be the same. You can SEE what is in it.

David

Back