Yeast harvest from bottles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebeer

Reaction score
For kicks I thought I'd try harvesting and growing up some yeast from a Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet. While I do a starter for every brew, I've never actually grown up samples from a bottle.

I took a bit of dregs from 4 or 5 bottles. It's been on my stir plate for about a week now. I started the harvested amount in 1000mL, which stayed very clear for 3-4 days then went opaque indicating a lot of yeast activity. I let it go for another day, then added an additional 1000mL of wort.

2 days later it's still spinning and appears to be pretty active. My plan was to decant and spin up at least one more time on the stir plate on a new 2000mL starter.

The wort is light in color, but cloudy. No off smell. Seems to me I'm good to go. Does this all seem right?

I've never done the harvesting you mention, but to me it sounds like normal yeast behavior I see in brewing and in starters, so I'm gonna say my gut says yes. You'll know for sure when you step it again and see what happens. Good luck.

Sounds good. You could chill the yeast and settle it out, and then warm up again for the next round.

What I like to do (what I plan on doing in the future) is to make enough to pitch on a beer, and some left over to save in the fridge for next time. It's much easier to get a starter going from a vial of previously harvested yeast, than it is to start a harvest from the bottle again.

Latest posts

Back