Yeast for Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good yeast strain for a porter? I'm brewing up a porter that will also have some hints of cinnamon in it, and I'm wondering what kind of yeast would be best?

My last homebrew was an Irish Red so it was easy to find the best Wyeast style, but with the porter, I'm not so sure.

WLP002 is my favorite for English style porters and stouts, if that is what you are brewing. It's a good fermenter (although quite flocculant, like the British styles are) and not too fruity if you can keep your temperature under control. If you want something a little drier, check out WLP007.

I imagine you will have many folks come after me and say that Nottingham or Windsor are good porter yeasts, and they will be correct. I'm still a liquid yeast guy, though.

TL

Weez, check out the Porter recipe section for some ideas: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/

I usually click on the "replies" hyperlink which will rank the search with the most replies first. I figure that the the recipe's with the most replies are likely the "tried and true".

Like Tex said, a lot of the Porters are calling for Notty.

I like some esters in an english style beer. Robust Porters tend to use subtle english hops like fuggles and Kent Goldings, so why not add some estery complexity? Irish ale, and a number of english yeasts will work for this, as long as they have high attenuation. If you go with a slightly lesser attenuator like Irish Ale or WLP013, you can compensate by reducing the mash temperature to 149-152.

If you don't care for esters, WLP001 or safale-05 would be the way to go.

I'll wake this sleeping thread. How would Nottingham be for a porter? I'm looking at BM"s Black Pearl Porter. Ferm temp will be 65

I like the SO4 but my swamp cooler stays about 65 and with the heat generated by fermentation I think it might get to high and get some off flavors. I prefer to keep SO4 @ 60

I use 1056 Cal ale yeast for most of my beers including porters. Excellent yeast for "American styles".

Back