Yeast for High Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, pretty much any yeast will ferment in that range, but I assume you mean what yeasts will produce good beer in that range...

I also assume that those temps are ambient, room temps? If so, your beer will be fermenting very warm - as much as 10 degrees warmer than ambient (fermentation is an exothermic process). So, the only yeast I would feel comfortable recommending would be a Belgian strain to make a Belgian-style beer. You can expect lots of fruity esters (pear, banana, bubble gum, etc.) I don't know much about the Belgian dry yeasts though, so can't really recommend anything specific.

If you are interested in getting your temps down, you can try the "swamp cooler" method - put your fermenter in a big tub of water, throw some frozen water bottles in there, wrap a towel or t-shirt around the fermenter, and swap out the thawed water bottles with frozen ones daily (or twice daily). This will keep your fermentation temps down. Here's a good pic of what I've talking about - http://www.brew-dudes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/swamp-cooler-002.jpg

Make a hefe with WLP300
A Witbier with WL3463
Or a Saison with Whatever is the Saison yeast from Wyeast

Those beers/yeasts love mid 70's

US-05, WLP001, wyeast1056, chico, whatever else is an American ale strain can produce some bad flavors at that temp. Try a swamp cooler as Jlem mentioned.

I agree with Jlem. Belgian and Saison yeasts will work at those temps. They work best if you pitch them at a low temp (low 60's) and then slowly let them rise. This helps keep the fusels in check.

If you want to brew other brews then the swamp cooler trick is very easy and works great.

US-05, WLP001, wyeast1056, chico, whatever else is an American ale strain can produce some bad flavors at that temp. Try a swamp cooler as Jlem mentioned.

Actually US-05 has a recommended temp range of 59-75 degrees. It does really well fermenting in the 70-75 degree range without producing any funky esters. You can expect the same from WLP001.

S-33 is another that does well in the 70 degree range. Is a good one for wit's and Belgian style brews.

I am not a huge fan of it but the coopers ale yeast loves 70 degrees too.

Actually US-05 has a recommended temp range of 59-75 degrees. It does really well fermenting in the 70-75 degree range without producing any funky esters. You can expect the same from WLP001.

S-33 is another that does well in the 70 degree range. Is a good one for wit's and Belgian style brews.

I am not a huge fan of it but the coopers ale yeast loves 70 degrees too.

In my experience, that has not been the case. When I first started brewing I had two us-05 batches that got into that range. Esters were out of control. You might not hate the esters chico produces as much as I do, though.

Back