Yeast for Founder's Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabloj13

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm brewing up a Founder's Breakfast Stout recipe that I've based on several recipes I have found floating around HBT. The recipes tend to call for S-04 or S-05. I also have some washed 1056 on hand that I could step up for much cheaper than buying two packs of the dry yeast. Any reason not to use 1056? What about a preference for S-04 or S-05 for that type of recipe?

13# 2-row
1# chocolate
12oz roasted barley
9oz black patent
7oz crystal 105
22oz flaked oats

1oz nugget at 60'
0.5oz Mt. Hood at 30'
0.5oz Mt. Hood at 2'

2oz ground coffee at flameout
2.5oz bittersweet at 15'
1.5oz unsweetened at 15'

2oz cold-pressed coffee at bottling

If I had all the grain bill I would use the 1056 and see if I had to order or buy product I would get the yeast in the recipe.

As far as a preference for S-04 or US-05/1056, it depends on what you want.

S-04 is an English strain that will add some fruity notes and since it doesn't attenuate quite as well as US-05, the result will be a slightly sweeter finish and a little less ABV.

US-05/1056 is a very clean, high attenuating strain. It'll finish a bit dryer and should contribute no fruitiness, which will leave all the focus on the malt and hops. It'll yield a higher ABV, as well.

Either should produce nice results with this recipe. If you have 1056 at your disposal, I'd not hesitate to go with it.

The recipe says S-04, so I'm sure I either went with that or S-05. Either way, it's a wonderful beer.

Back