Yeast Energizer vs. Yeast Nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
First brew starts Tuesday! I visited my LHBS and got fully set up, and when I got home I noticed I had accidentally grabbed the package of Yeast Energizer instead of Nutrient. I don't have time to make it back there before brew day. I looked up nutrients on several online suppliers, and the ingredients of Nutrient vs. Energizer are kind of hard to distinguish. Is this basically the same thing? Thanks!

-Matt

I believe they have some shared ingredients but they are different. Yeast energizer makes your yeasts super strong. Yeast nutrient gives them food they need for a healthy fermentation that the wort may lack. If you are making beer you may not need the energizer but you can certainly use it.

Here is the confusion. Both of these products are from Austin Homebrew.

Fermax Yeast Nutrient
This yeast nutrient is a mixture of Di-ammonium phosphate and yeast hulls. It is used to promote rapid starting and complete fermentation.

Yeast Energizer
This yeast energizer is a mixture of Di-ammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, vitamins, and magnesium sulphate. It is useful to re-start slow or stuck fermentations.

Those are not only the same ingredients, but it looks as if the Energizer has additional ingredients than the Nutrient itself. What gives?

meh. i use them as 1/4 tsp. energizer and 1/2 tsp. nutrient per 5 gal at flame out.. and a smaller rate in my starters (i build up from slants, so the yeasties DO need all the help they can get!)

The extra ingredients perk up/feed yeast even more than the basic ones.
It also matters who makes it. IIRC, LD Carlson yeast nutrient also has urea.

These all pretty much make up for a lack or shortage of nitrogen, minerals, and vitamins in certain worts or wine/mead musts.

I only use yeast energizer in mead. I use yeast nutrient in beer and mead. Nutrient is cheaper and your beer shouldn't need the extra stuff in the energizer because it should already be in the wort.

Back