Yeast dribbled on my hand while pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
Making a starter, I open the vial, and poured it into the flask. But the pressure in the vial made some come out earlier than intended and some of the yeast touched my hand on the pour :/

Big chance of infected starter? I mean, my hands were just in some star San solution. But ugh.

Sanitizing is important but there is always Plan B. Plan B is pitching a huge amount of yeast to overwhelm and kill other microbes. A vial (assuming a white labs vial) is supposedly enough yeast to inoculate 5 gal. of wort. So, it is a huge amount of yeast for a starter. Anything on your hand will be quickly dying in alcohol.

Then there is Plan C. Use your nose. Smell the starter, if something bad happened you will know it.

Those damn tubes are explosive. *Second- time tuber, sir.

Thanks for the input. I'll do a better job searching next time. Hate to post stuff that's already available.

accidental early spillage is a disorder that affects more home brewers than people realize. thank you for sharing with the group

It will be fine. If you want to be anal like me, I wear gloves a lot for cold side stuff. You can get a lifetime supply of nitrile gloves at Costco for like fourteen cents.

It will be fine. If you want to be anal like me, I wear gloves a lot for cold side stuff. You can get a lifetime supply of nitrile gloves at Costco for like fourteen cents.

By careful here. I am a firefighter/EMT and have been wearing these for over 10 years. They are not sterile. The are to prevent pathogens from going from one person to another. The are covered with bugs though. The only way that I would feel comfortable with them is to dip them in Star San after putting them on.

Agree with cfrazier77, gloves are only there to make it easier to sanitize your hands. Sterile gloves are $$$.

i suspect you'll start fermenting shortly. if not, just rouse yourself, sit in the sun and have a beer.

jtakacs said:
i suspect you'll start fermenting shortly. if not, just rouse yourself, sit in the sun and have a beer.

Quite the rdwhahb attitude, sounds great. I'm still a novice brewer, so I am in that auto-panic phase. It's pretty annoying.

The starter looked great today, I'll check smells once I get home.

Sorry for wasting thread space.

So um, I'm really surprised that no one made any jokes about the whole "dribbling on your hand" think....that's so unlike us....;)

lol, that was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the title.

the second was "HEAD RETENTION LACING HEAD RETENTION LACING!!! COME ON GUYS!!!! ITSGOODITSGOODITSGOOD!"

Latest posts

Back