Yeast Clumps and Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomridder

Reaction score
It has been two weeks since I boiled my wart. I still have yeast rafts/clumps per the picture. The stuff is still moving around but a good bit od it has settled. Should I just keep waiting until I bottle?

beer ferm 2.JPG

Funny that you posted this - I just made BM's centennial two weeks ago and used Notty yeast. It's kind of tough to see in this picture, but I think that's what I'm seeing in my beer. It looks like clumps of yeast that haven't settled yet. I've never had this in my beer, although this is only my 4th batch, so I hope it's not an infection. I'll post a pic when I get home.

As far as when to bottle, I would say to wait another week and then if you have a hydrometer, get a gravity reading. Wait a few days and take another reading. You probably want to get two or three consistent gravity readings before bottling. When it comes to the duration of your wort in primary fermentation, time isn't as important a factor as the hydrometer readings.

If things "are still moving around",then it's likely not done fermenting yet. 3-4 weeks is pretty standard to most. I wait till I have a stable FG,then give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. Then bottle.

Those clumps are perfectly normal. I've seen that on a few beers of mine. Sometimes they fall out of suspension, other times they just stay floating until you rack.

The obvious signs of an infection are taste and smell but in your case(s) I wouldn't worry too much.

And as union said, movement in the fermenter means it's still active.

Latest posts

Back