yeast cake in secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StainlessBrewing

Reaction score
I just racked my Blonde Ale into a secondary yesterday and last night I noticed a layer of yeast at the bottom of the secondary. I thought I did pretty damn well transfering little to none of the sediment at the bottom of the primary. The beer smelled great and was fermenting in the primary for about 20 days.

I did have to take the heavy carboy out of the mini fridge and set it on the counter which stirred things up very little but I let it sit for about 30 minutes before the transfer. It's not like it was splashing around, just the movement shifted things a little.

My question is....should I rack it again? I don't want to oxidize the beer or ruin it by catching an infection on another transfer. I also don't wan't funky tasting beer.

I would think it would be fine. I would not rack again. Eventually you are going to have to transfer again to either bottle or keg and that should eliminate the rest of the yeast that has settled. Even after that, you will still have some yeast, you always do.

I would think it would be fine. I would not rack again. Eventually you are going to have to transfer again to either bottle or keg and that should eliminate the rest of the yeast that has settled. Even after that, you will still have some yeast, you always do.

there ya go

It doesn't matter how careful you were when you racked.... there is still a lot of yeast in suspension in the beer after fermentation is complete. As it sits in the secondary, this yeast will fall out of suspension and form a layer of sediment on the bottom.

This is perfectly normal. I always have a layer of yeast sediment in my secondaries. Somtimes it's small, sometimes it's quite large.

Back