yeast bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
hey guys, i started my very first one gallon batch of mead last night along with a one gallon batch of apfelwein. the meads ingredients are as follows.
3lbs.......... holly honey
2 sticks.... cinnamon
1tsp........ vanilla extract(didnt realize it was imitation at the time)
1 pack..... safale us-05 dry ale yeast
filtered water

i essentially mixed the honey with the water, added the cinnamon and vanilla and yeast(half pack at first) gave it a swirl and air locked it up. within the hour i was getting 3-5 bubbles per minuet with a thin layer of foam on the top. i was vaguely happy with that cause there was activity. in contrast,the apfelwein(red-star Montrachet) was bubbling like soda with a almost non existent foam top and very very little bubbling in the air lock, maybe one every two minuets. i was with the understanding that they're should be rapid bubbling through the locks.

after some time i decided to mix up the remainder of the yeasts and add it in. this morning the apfelwein is bubbling away fantastically, 30+ bubbles a minuet and the mead has slowed down drastically to about one per minuet. with about an inch of thick foam at the top. im wondering, is this common for the safale US-05 yeasts? i know its a top fermenting yeast. but im worried that i may have messed something up by adding more yeast, would contamination cause this? or am i just over reacting and i should just wait a few days.

apfelwein on the left, lots of bubbling little foam, mead on the right, lots of foam, little bubbling.

Resize95P06-29-129514-59[1]1000006.jpg

Resize95P06-29-129514-591000007.jpg

hey guys, i started my very first one gallon batch of mead last night along with a one gallon batch of apfelwein. the meads ingredients are as follows.
3lbs.......... holly honey
2 sticks.... cinnamon
1tsp........ vanilla extract(didnt realize it was imitation at the time)
1 pack..... safale us-05 dry ale yeast
filtered water

i essentially mixed the honey with the water, added the cinnamon and vanilla and yeast(half pack at first) gave it a swirl and air locked it up. within the hour i was getting 3-5 bubbles per minuet with a thin layer of foam on the top. i was vaguely happy with that cause there was activity. in contrast,the apfelwein(red-star Montrachet) was bubbling like soda with a almost non existent foam top and very very little bubbling in the air lock, maybe one every two minuets. i was with the understanding that they're should be rapid bubbling through the locks.

after some time i decided to mix up the remainder of the yeasts and add it in. this morning the apfelwein is bubbling away fantastically, 30+ bubbles a minuet and the mead has slowed down drastically to about one per minuet. with about an inch of thick foam at the top. im wondering, is this common for the safale US-05 yeasts? i know its a top fermenting yeast. but im worried that i may have messed something up by adding more yeast, would contamination cause this? or am i just over reacting and i should just wait a few days.

apfelwein on the left, lots of bubbling little foam, mead on the right, lots of foam, little bubbling.
Not familiar with that yeast (don't make beer). But its probably fine.

The only thing that came to mind, is the apparent lack of any mention of nutrients.

It's a honey must not a beer wort, so it will need some. Something like FermaidK would do the trick......

Not familiar with that yeast (don't make beer). But its probably fine.

The only thing that came to mind, is the apparent lack of any mention of nutrients.

It's a honey must not a beer wort, so it will need some. Something like FermaidK would do the trick......

hey thanks. yeah i was actually pointed in that direction right after my post. i didnt have access to a store bought nutrient. from what i gather, boiled bread yeast pitched in will work in a pinch. i actually tried that, and there actually seems to be an upstart in activity in the mead. crossing my fingers, playing the waiting game.

Back